Monday, September 9, 2013

Let's add a label!

Over the years I have bought several types of labels to add to my quilts.

They always look so fun and interesting.

But adding a label to the back of my quilt has turned out to be quite challenging.  I find it hard to turn the edges and stitch the label onto the back.  Sometimes the edges are wonky, or the label ends up being crooked. :-(  I figured there had to be a better way to use these cute labels.

I trimmed the label to 1/4 inch of the design.

Cutting a 2 inch strip of coordinating fabric, I added it to all sides. I then cut a piece of scrap fabric to back it.............

place fabric right sides together and sew all around, leaving an opening to turn.
 Turn the label right side out, and press well.
 Now I have a label that I can just whip stitch to the back of the quilt.
SO much easier and turns out much neater.

Now, doesn't that feel better :-)

9 comments:

Tanna said...

Great idea and I love that your name will go with this piece of your art through the generations. Wish there had been labels on some of the old ones I have. =D blessings ~ tanna

Barb said...

Looks awesome....LOVE IT!

Debbie said...

I've been bordering my computer printed labels for a few years for just this reason. Recently I also began to use scraps of fusible--paper backed type--along the edges to hold it in place until I get it stitched down. Just a little extra safety precaution.

terriquilts said...

Genius idea! I just finished a baby quilt and I'm going to use your idea.
Thank you!

barb's creations said...

Looks great, fantastic idea :) Barb.

Sue said...

Great idea ! Thanks !

gailss said...

Really nice idea and will try the next label I put on....thanks

Denise in PA said...

Genius! Why did I never think of that?! I, too, always struggle with the same label issues. Thanks so much!

Allie said...

Great idea! I wish I was better at getting a label on my quilts.