Thursday, January 16, 2014

Let's GO! Baby

Back in the summer I acquired a AccuQuilt GO!Baby.  It was something I was wanting since my wrist surgery.  Using the Rotary cutter has been a little limiting as my wrist gets tired pretty quickly, which in turn makes it hard to do much fabric cutting.

I only had a couple of dies, so again I was limited in what I was able to cut.  However, the kind folks at AccuQuilt offered me two new dies of my choice to give me an opportunity to expand my use of the GO! Baby.  As my quilting buddies had not seen or used a GO! before, we had a little intro session using my new dies.


The first die that I used was the 2 1/2" Strip Die.  As you can see, this die also has additional blades to make a second cut.  The die cutter has four angled guide lines printed on the surface.  The lines are at 90 degrees, 30 degrees, 45 degrees, and 60 degrees. This makes it easier for you to go back for that second cut.

I folded my full length piece of fabric into thirds.


Placed the mat on top

And turned the handle to start the fabric through the GO! Baby.



I found it to be very easy to turn the handle and for the fabric to go through the machine.


Six strips easily cut, in just a few minutes.


The second die that I used was the 4 1/2" half square triangle. 





This die is so great, as it already cuts the little tag off the corners, so it's ready to sew.  If you place two different color fabrics together, your HST is all ready for the sewing machine.

The best way to describe the dies is that they are like a dense sponge.  The blades are hidden inside the die.  When you roll the die through the machine, it presses the blades and cuts your fabric.  Even if you run your hand over the dies you do not feel anything sharp.  The blades are inside the foam sponge.

I am very happy with my GO! Baby. I believe with my wrist limitations, this machine will increase my cutting ability.  I've already used it to cut my blocks for the Sew Along Goodnight Irene quilt. One thing about the AccuQuilt GO! Baby is that it is affordable and very portable.  If you would like to see an intro about this machine you can find it on this AccuQuilt YouTube.

Thanks for letting me share with you.  I hope you have a Happy Quilting day!

6 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I love using my Accuquilt cutter and it is easy on the wrists. Have fun with it!

Pokey said...

Very cool! I have been lookin' at the 2 1/2" strip cutter, it seems to be so useful ~
:-}pokey

Tanna said...

Oh, my goodness! I don't quilt... but I do love a good tool!! And, this thing looks like lots of fun! =) blessings ~ tanna

dolls5000a said...

I live in Montreal Canada, and the weather is just lovely for this time of year, just above freezing with light dusting of snow during the day

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I got a Go! for Christmas ... and had been rather intimidated about using it. But seeing what you've done looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing!

Peg said...

Just a word of warning about Accuquilt go system, it's highly addictive! ;) have one die, soon buying others lol. I love mine, I have the Go and the baby Go, I keep baby at our holiday home for use there. The dies give an accurate cut, a quilt is cut out one heck of a lot quicker, cushty👍😄

Peg xx