Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Simple project?

My BFF friend from the North came down and spent some time with me a few years ago. We had a lot of fun shopping, eating, talking, crafting, etc..... you get the picture. Anyway, one thing I asked my friend to do for me, was to help me recover a chair.

Now I am not into re-upholstery, but this was a special chair. It belonged to my hubby's Aunt, and I believe it was her mother's chair. Which would have been my hubby's Grandmother. We acquired  the chair when dh's aunt was moving into assisted living, as she was not able to take all her furniture with her.

I wish I had taken a picture of the chair before we started this fabric removal. It appears to have been covered once before.

But you can see the basic bones of this chair. The seat of the chair had straw for the stuffing. I decided to leave the straw inside, and just recover it with batting.

My sweet friend worked and worked on that chair. She knew how to take the old upholstery off and use it as a pattern for the replacement fabric. 

My friend brought that massive staple gun with her from the North! I'm so glad that she had the tools.

And now, this is how the chair turned out.............

Isn't it great? I so love this chair. I think the fabric really compliments this type of chair. I have enough fabric left over to make pillows for my couch.

So the chair has been handed down, recycled, the fabric was salvaged and a very special friend re-did the upholstery.  Yay!

12 comments:

Shan said...

I really like your the chair. Upholstery is one of my next ventures in the near future. Can't wait to share.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow! That fabric is delightful ... and really complements the chair! And now you'll always remember your friend's visit whenever you look at that chair. How blessed you are to have such a crafty friend!

Susan Lindquist said...

Beautiful job! I agree. The fabric is perfect for the piece!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'm in love with that chair too!!! I love it when projects work out so well.

Smiles,
Kelly

Cathy said...

It's beautiful. Hugs

Jane S. said...

Perfect fabric for that chair! Doesn't it do your heart good to rescue an ailing piece of furniture? :)

Jane S. said...

Perfect fabric for that chair! Doesn't it do your heart good to rescue an ailing piece of furniture? :)

margaret said...

a beautiful chair and such a talented friend to reupholster it for you

QuiltSue said...

The chair looks great,and I agree, the fabric looks as though it was made just for the chair, it's the perfect match.

claudia said...

WOW! Very pretty! How crafty of both of you!

Meggie said...

Love the way it turned out!

suheyla said...

You're very resourceful're great,con....:=)