Friday, October 23, 2015

Fall Leaf Tutorial

Fall is a fun time of year. But in Central Florida, we do not experience the change of color. So I make my own fall leaves.

Cut two WOF by 4" to make a binding string.
Sew together then ironed them in half, folded onto themselves...

and fold again to sew. I used a zig zag stitch.

I traced around a leaf to use as a pattern.

And you know those left over pieces of batting?

They will work perfectly for this garland.

Cut 6" x 11 1/2" from several different pieces of fall fabric.

Fold the fabric in half, pin your pattern on the TOP piece of fabric,
and be sure that your stem is on the fold.

Cut around the TOP piece of fabric only. Then place your batting in between the folded fabric, and sure that your string is at the top of fold.....

(showing fabric for the free form leaf)

Pin.

Sew around the edges of the sandwiched leaf. The edges will be raw unless you finish with a zig zag stitch.

Cut around the edges of the leaf.

This is probably a pretty basic way to do this, but I wanted to show you how I made the free form leaf and how it is attached to the string. Making it two sided allows you to use the garland where both sides are finished.

And here is the garland, decorating my mantle.

Great way to use up scraps of fabric and batting.

Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

Debbie At The Quilt Journal said...

AWWW!!! I love your fall garland!! I'm from Florida so when have to hang fall around our house to get leaves! I want to try this on my fireplace!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute leaves! Just saw your bag featured on QuiltShopGal.

Connie said...

Your banner is lovely . . . and thanks for the tutorial.
Have a happy weekend and enjoy your pretty fall decor.
Connie :)

Anonymous said...

Very clever and oh so cute! I must make one! Thanks for sharing how to.

Cut&Alter said...

Oh I love this - could have done with one of these when I lived in New Zealand because autumn leaves were few and far between. Here in England we have loads!!!!

margaret said...

so pretty and love the autumnal colours will now reread your tutoiral and let it sink in!!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Very pretty - thanks for the great tutorial!

allthingzsewn said...

Thanks for the tutorial, great fabric choice too. Nice fall setting.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Very cute!

Unknown said...

I like the leaves :) the double sided idea has me wondering about other shapes to use. ...