Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Why do you quilt?



This is the closet in my sewing room. Unfinished quilt tops waiting for backing and quilting. Oh, this is not all of them. There are still some that are older than dirt in a plastic container.  Sadly made from fabric that is really dated.

So why do we quilt? I have paused to reflect on this question. My love of quilting has not diminished, but the reasons have. I used to make quilts for gifts. Weddings, for babies, housewarming, birthdays. But through the years it appears that most people don't really appreciate all the time and money that goes into a hand made quilt. Some quilts may even be relegated to the dog bed.

It's why I've been making more of an effort to make pillowcases for Ryan's' Case for Smiles. Hoping to bring a smile to a child, a boost while they are experiencing illness.

Most recently, with the passing of my BIL and the former first lady Barbara Bush, these things that take our time and money have left a deep impression of what is really important in life.  A quote from Mrs. Bush struck me.

 (source - Woman's World)
At the end of your life, what will you regret? What will really be important?

6 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I make most quilts as a love gift to family and close friends. Most of them know what goes into my quilts, and appreciate them. When I'm gone, they will have something that I made special for them, to remember me by. If I'm not 'attached' to a quilt top that I've made (not made for a certain person), then I donate the top to my quilt guild, for charity quilts. Long arm guild quilters then do the quilting (my least favorite part of quilting), and my quilt top finds a home with someone.

Quilting Tangent said...

Use 2 tops same size to make a reversible quilt. Clears out the closet faster, and the quilt is pretty on both sides.

Quilting Babcia said...

I guess most of us know some friends and relatives who would not appreciate the time and effort that goes into a handmade quilt. I don't make quilts for those folks anymore, but concentrate my personal work with an eye to what my children and some of the grandchildren would like, since they will be the ones who inherit them. Anymore, most of my quilting time goes to our quilt ministry group, helping the newer quilters and encouraging them, and making donation quilts that will go to the area church camp auction, the proceeds of which provide scholarships for children to attend the summer camp and learn about the saving grace of Jesus. Our ministry group provided more than half the quilts that were auctioned last year and most likely will again this year. That is why I continue to make quilts, and will for as long as I am able.

Karen S said...

I had a little chuckle as i have several quilt tops hanging up just like you. Not as many but still waiting for me..
I make quilts because i love making them. As simple as that. Doesn't bother me if I don't have someone to give them to. i just enjoy the process.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thank you for this inspiring quote and writing about the whys of things, not just the hows. Our values are being questioned more and more it seems so we must remember what is so important to us in the end. Like that sweet little bundle, Jonah.

Terry said...

You can always donate older quilt tops to project Linus. That way you know they're going to a good cause and will be loved by someone.