Thursday, November 15, 2018

Did you know?

Did you know that 14% of all households report at least one family member who quilts?
The average dedicated quilter is 62 years old with a college education and in a median household income of more than $90,000.

The majority have a room in their home dedicated to quilting and/or sewing and spends an average of 2.2 hours a week on quilting websites.
She also subscribes to 4 quilting magazines and spends 5 hours a month reading these magazines.
She has purchased an average of 95 yards of fabric and bought 5 quilting books over the past year.


Estimated total value of the quilting industry in the US is an average of $3.5 BILLION

So how do you line up with these statistics?

8 comments:

Barb Neiwert said...

Very interesting stats! Since I just turned 63, I'm no longer an 'average' quilter, lol!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Those stats are fascinating. At 67 I'm tugging the age one upward! But the rest checks out esp. the purchasing. I just never thought we were that common.

QuiltShopGal said...

I think I need to buy more fabric.

Joyful Quilter said...

Oh my. I'm normal! I'll have to tell my coworkers that I'm not the crazy cat / quilt lady. (hehehe) Although I have cut down on purchasing fabric, and books, and magazines...no maybe not so normal. Oh well.

Angie in SoCal said...

LOL - guess I"m not the average quilter. I'm older than the average quilter. I do have a college degree, but don't have that kind of income. I no longer subscribe to magazines, and have bought maybe 20 yards this year as I'm trying to destash. I spend quite a bit of time in my quilting room, and it still is a soothing hobby that I love.

Carol Swift said...

Very interesting...wonder how they gather these statistics? I'm with Quilt Shop Gal...I need to buy more fabric. LOL

Bonnie said...

I really enjoyed your statistics!! I fit in some of them. :) Grandbaby #8 is on the way and the baby quilt is almost done!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm younger, didn't finish college (I do have 3 years of college) and I don't subscribe to quilt magazines (a friend did give me a subscription as a gift).