Monday, January 30, 2023

What is the most meaningful thing you ever made?

This could be a pretty hard question to put into words.  I've made lots of charity quilts for babies and familes that have lost their homes, possesions and loved ones.


But I think the most meaningful thing I ever made was a quilt for my friend Diana.

I had every intention of making a quilt for Diana and her husband when they celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary. It was in September, but somehow the date got away from me.  So I purposed to make it for them as a Christmas gift.   I finished the quilt and presented it to them for Christmas.  She and her hubby were both very delighted. 

Diana had been diagnosed with cancer 5 years previous. The very next month after receiving the quilt, Diana found out that her cancer had returned, and with a vengeance.  She lost her battle on September 26, 2004.



I never took a picture of the quilt I made for her, but I share this last photo of Diana and myself the Easter before she passed away.  Diana was head and shoulders above me both physically and in character.  She had a truly warm and giving heart.  I still miss her.

Thanks for letting me share.

3 comments:

julieQ said...

I am so glad you made that quilt, both for you, and for her. What a lovely memory, your darling friend.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That is a hard one. Maybe the handprint quilt I made for my father-in-law for his 80th birthday.

dgs said...

I'm sure Diana loved the anniversary/Christmas quilt you made her. That is truly a gift from the heart and a very special memory.