Monday, April 24, 2017

The Quilt show adventure

In just two days the AQS Quilt week starts in Paducah. What a fun adventure.

A dozen years ago, I attended my first major quilt show in Nashville with two of my quilting buddies. We stayed at the Opryland hotel, which hosted the quilt show. We entered the doors and could not believe how much there was to see. Where to start? Do we look at the quilts first, or do we scope out the vendors for that prize piece of fabric or the latest designs in patterns. It's enough to make my head spin. Rows and rows of vendors and some of the most beautiful quilts we have ever laid our eyes on. We attended two lectures by Alex Anderson. What fun! By the end of the first day, we were on overload and headed back to our room. We brought out all of our bags and took out every item for close inspection. We would oooh!! and ahhh! with so much delight, stroking each others fabric and reviewing all of the books and patterns. For the next two days we enjoyed the euphoria of every quilting treat that was available.

In the years since, I attended the Quilt Festival in Chicago, and the AQS Quilt show in Paducah. Each one has its own unique spin on the quilting community. It's what drives the psychological part of our desire to make beautiful things. Whether it is art quilts or traditional, batiks or reproduction. The mere thought of a trip to a quilt show is enough to start my exit from reality. It's a mystery that once again brings me back to the reason why I quilt. For the beauty of it, and the love of experiencing what others have created in a world of fabric.

Which quilt show will you be attending this year?

9 comments:

Susan said...

I've only been to Paducah once and was amazed by the gorgeous quilts. True artists!

Yanicka said...

I am a vendor in the june Toronto quilt show. My first time. I goes from sheer panic, to " nobody will love my designs" to "it is going to be awesome. Quilt shows are awesome and a great way to exchange.

Barbara said...

What fun! I've wanted to attend a major quilt show for years. Just waiting for hubby to retire so we can do some traveling whenever and wherever we want to. And, wait for it...he retires on Friday!!! Yahoo!!!

QuiltShopGal said...

I have not had a chance to attend an AQS show, but have it on my list. Have been fortunate to attend IQF Houston & IQF Long Beach and Road to California. Glad you have been able to attend so many I have not and that you share insights. Thank you. Staying in the OpryLand Hotel must have been a blast.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

scottylover said...

I'm heading to Paducah on Thursday! One of the LQS does a bus trip which works out great for me.

Sandy A

Salmagundi said...

Twelve years ago in Nashville --- was that 2005, the week that Katrina hit? If so, I was one of the teachers for AQS that year; and as the week wore on, I kept loosing students in anticipation of the forecasted storm. People were anxious to get home. It was an interesting week --- I wasn't worried about getting back home to Colorado myself; but I had shipped in about 30 class- sample quilts which had to be shipped back to Colorado on that Saturday of Katrina. I about worried myself sick over those quilts until they arrived at my doorstep safely. Even with all of that excitement, it was a fun, inspiring week. Sally

Allie-oops Designs said...

Have a wonderful time - I HOPE I can get to one this year, I miss going!

margaret said...

cannot think of a better way to spend a few days than at a quilt show. I am going to the Festival of Quilts in august it is the biggest quilt how in the UK and think in Europe and have got a ticket to hear Victoria Findley Wolfe speak so looking forward to it. Will have 3 days there so will be recharging my camera every evening.

Barb said...

No quilt shows for me in the near future...boo hooo