Tuesday, July 18, 2017

High as the Heavens

Reading has become a hobby of mine. When my children were small, and I was schooling them, I never had time to read for pleasure. When they finished school, I think I've been making up for all those lost years.

"High as the Heavens" is a story that takes place during WWI. When Germany occupied Brussels, Evelyn Marche becomes a nurse to the allies and the enemy. She moonlights as a spy for the Belgian resistance, and finds herself walking into more danger than she bargains for. On her way to meet up with her contact, an explosion lights up the sky.  She watches a plane crash a few hundred meters away.  As she rescues the man who is lying near the burning engine, she is shocked when she recognizes the man she thought she had lost forever...her husband Simon.

I have read Kate Breslin's earlier novels, "Not By Sight" and "For Such A Time" and enjoyed them both.  Ms. Breslin has a way of weaving her novels, surrounded by history, into touching and engaging stories.

One of my favorite lines from this book is when Simon confronts the Major that Evelyn has been working for.

"I'm here because she's in danger, Herr Major. I need a truck and a pass to get to her."

"You fight for the Allies. Your soldiers shoot ours." The major scowled. "Why should I help you?"

"Because my daughter saved your life."

Both men turned to see Louise Marche's diminutive figure standing beside the table. With arms raised, she held a pistol pointed at the Hun. "And now you must save hers."

Simon drew in a sharp breath. How had she managed to filch the gun from his coat pocket?

Kate Breslin has created a tale that will take you back into the era of the great war. Hunger, starvation, and death surrounded this generation. Kate shows how these heroic women were a part of helping win the war. If you would like to read more about some of these women, and how their bravery helped the war effort, you can check out Kate's blog on this  LINK.

#HighAsTheHeavens #AmReading #BookLove 

 I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.



3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm still reading this one. It's taking me longer than usual, since I've been so busy with other things. Not as much time for reading lately.

Rebecca said...

I just went on line and put it on hold at my local library

Barb said...

I will have to read this, thanks