Friday, January 19, 2018

Sew Goodness

Late last year I found myself disgusted with so much extra fabric sitting in my closet. How could I ever use up all of my stash in my lifetime? After thinking and pondering what was the best use of my material acquisitions, the thought of helping kids woke up my incentive. Ryan's Case for Smiles is a worthy charity that sparked me. Quickly I started making pillowcases and ended up donating two dozen before Christmas for this worthy cause.

So when I read about Amy Smart's (Diary of a Quilter) monthly challenge, I was again motivated to dig into my stash.

How about you? Will you take a few days and make either pillowcases or pillowcase dresses? Why let all that fabric gather dust when you could bring a smile to a child, helping them to heal?

8 comments:

Mari said...

Wow, pretty pillowcases! I like the idea of the pillowcase dresses, too. What little girl anywhere in the world wouldn't like a pretty new dress? Nice way to use up some stash!

grammajudyb said...

Love all your fabrics in your pillowcases. I don't have much that is appropriate for pillowcases, or large enough pieces...but I am sending scrap blocks to a charity. It is such a great idea! Congrats.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on all of those. Between both my quilt guilds, and Quilts of Valor, lots of my fabric goes to charity. Some of my fellow quilters are happy to do the sewing, if I supply the fabrics (win-win).

Jo said...

Good effort. Lovely fabrics too.

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome!! You rocked those pillowcases!!

QuiltShopGal said...

You are clearly an Angel on Earth. Pillowcases are certainly a great way to use our stash as well as bring much needed cheer for many. This is also one of my favorite projects. While I've made many such pillowcases before, including pillowcases sent off with someone in the Peace Corps, I'm always game for this. Count me in. I'm sure I can find fabrics in my stash and this is a fun & fast project, for a great cause. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal2.wordpress.com

Allie-oops Designs said...

You have such a lovely heart, Jocelyn, those are gorgeous!! I don't have a stash anymore.....I don't think I have a yard of anything!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely fabric combinations! Wonderful cause!!