Friday, February 22, 2019

A Quilters dream



For quilters, something happens when we cross over the threshold of a quilt show. I think the change affects each one of us differently. There are no specific symptoms but something definitely takes place within us.

It is a magical journey that starts the moment we enter the building. It provides pleasure to our senses. We see beauty everywhere we step. Where to start? Do we look at the quilt first, or do we scope out the vendors for that prize piece of fabric or the latest designs in patterns. It is enough to make my head spin.

15 years ago, I attended my first major quilt show in Nashville with my two quilting buddies. We stayed at the Opryland hotel, which was hosting the quilt show. We entered the doors and could not believe how much there was to see. Rows and rows of vendors and some of the most beautiful quilts we have ever laid our eyes on. We attended two lectures given by Alex Anderson. What fun! By the end of the first day, we were on overload and headed back to our room. We brought out our bags of goodies and took out every item for close inspection. We would oooh!! and ahhh! with so much delight, stroking each others fabric and reviewing all of the books and patterns. For the next two days we enjoyed the euphoria of every quilting treat that was available.

In the years since, I have attended the Quilt Festival in Chicago, and the AQS Quilt show in Paducah. Twice! Each one has its own unique spin on the quilting community. It's what drives the psychological part of our desire to make beautiful things. Whether it is art quilts or traditional, batiks or reproduction. The mere thought of a trip to a quilt show is enough to start my exit from reality. It is a mystery that once again brings me back to the reason why I quilt. For the beauty of it, and the love of experiencing what others have created in a world of fabric.
Next week AQS is hosting their quilt show in Dayton Beach. My quilting buddies and I are hoping to make it there, but the real question is ... Houston anyone?

5 comments:

Quiltermary said...

I was at that show in Nashville 15 years ago and also stayed at that hotel!! A hotel with a river running through it - beautiful. Still trying to work the logistics to go Daytona. Its close to me but family will be visiting and I have to make sure my Mom is covered.

QuiltShopGal said...

I agree 100%, there is something magical about crossing the threshold to visit a quilt show. I've not been to Paducah or Festival, but dream of going. Would be fun to join you in Houston. I did make it to Market, a few years back, where I was able to see all of the stunning quilts on exhibit. Still, Market is definitely different than Festival.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

You should definitely go to Houston! It is Paducah times 5! :) I have had the honor of teaching there the past two years and will be there again this year. I would love to see you in my class.
Hugs,
Michelle and the Bunnies

Farm Quilter said...

My favorite quilt show that I've been to, so far, is the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, England. A week in there would still not have been enough time to see every quilt and visit every vendor!!! I think there were over 2,000 quilts displayed, including a leather quilted basket that was about 3 feet long (amazing) to mini 12" square quilts with pieces so small you almost needed a magnifying glass to identify the individual pieces. Go to as many quilt shows as you can...they all have their own individual "flavor" and are amazing!! Houston...one of these years!!!

Jen said...

Love quilt festivals showcasing all the quilts ,so motivating some quilts are so beautiful .