Thursday, June 27, 2019

A Reluctant Bride


 A Reluctant Bride - Hedlund, Jody

A Reluctant Bride by Jody Hedlund is her best historical fiction novel yet. I absolutely loved this story. It was one I could not put down.

Mercy Wilkins is a poor waif from the slums of London in the 1800's.With no hope of a job, she finds that she is just another mouth to feed in her family. In spite of being poor, she gives of herself to help others.

Lord Joseph Coville is an amazing character in the story. He never let his wealth affect his desire to help people. He became a doctor following the tragic loss of his family..

Mercy, adamant about not marrying, finds herself on a ship heading to British Columbia, not aware that it is a bride-ship. Joseph, the ship's doctor, seeks Mercy's help, and as such they form a friendship. This turns into a fabulous romance, leaving both Mercy and Joseph unsure of any future. Mercy feels the weight of their social differences, and Joseph is filled with fear of loving and losing any one else in his life.

 Ms. Hedlund did a remarkable job of research about the bride-ships. And many of the stories within the story are a true recount. An absolute 5 star book.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

2 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I've never heard of bride ships. So interesting and amazing the lives of women down through the centuries.

Terry said...

I just picked this one up at the library today. I can't wait to get started on it! :0)