Friday, March 22, 2024

A question answered

During the blog hop, someone asked me why I made black and white quilts for charity. Because the person who asked was a no-reply comment, I thought I would answer here.

The person who asked said she was curious and that I must have a reason. For most of my charity quilts I use a variety of different colors. But I do have a couple of reasons as to why I have made some black and white quilts. 

First of all I had a pattern that worked well with black and white. 

I made this pattern with yellow and with red accents. Both look really stunning in my estimation.

The second reason is because I have made it my goal to make quilts to donate to nursing homes at Christmas. As many of you know, it is so easy to make a quilt that has flowers and pretty things for ladies. But I have often thought about the men who live in these facilities. I am working toward giving the quilts to the residents who never have any visitors, especially during the holidays.. And believe me, there are lots of them.

The third reason is it seems that black and white stimulates the brain. It was studied for use with newborns to help them develop their optic nerves and for focus. So I thought perhaps people with dementia or Alzheimer's would also benefit. Many nursing homes have separate wings for Alzheimer's patients.  Last year a couple of my quilting buddies and I made lap quilts for a nursing home where one of the gals mother was living. They were well received and the staff was delighted.

So that is the run down for my goals this year. I hope many of you will follow along on my journey. Thanks for the interest.

Happy Quilting!


2 comments:

dgs said...

I love all your quilts, especially those you make for charity. And while I also love black/white quilts, I'm inspired by your perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Helenchaffin said...

the black & white prints go very well with the yellows,your estimation is spot on! LoL