Monday, May 2, 2016

Organizing fabric

I've been on a mission to get my stash organized! Not so that it looks pretty, but so I can find what I need!!!!

I've been blessed with a closet to stash my stash. But this is how it looked before.

Yes, fabric in plastic tubs. And it seems like I am always moving this tub, so I can get to that tub......... you get the picture.

If you look on the right I bought a wire basket system to try. It's what Alex Anderson recommends for storing your stash. The part I like best is I can actually see inside the baskets without having to touch every single piece of fabric.

Soooooo.................. I went back down to IKEA (love that store) and bought more! And my sweet college boy put them together for me.

Now a word about the IKEA storage system. After I bought the first one I happened to go to the Big Box hardware warehouse and priced them there.

The price on this 4 drawer set was $61. The same basket system from IKEA was $19.99 (+ $7 if you add the top). That's a difference of $34 per unit!!! So it looks like I can get more sets for my money from IKEA.


And now the task of sorting the fabric has fallen on my shoulders ;-D There was room in one corner of the closet to stack two shelves together and as you can see, I've started the process.

I've already found one huge benefit of using the wire shelves. I can SEE my fabric!!!! And I don't have to run out and buy something that I already have (cause I can't find it!!). It's also nice that I can store fabric that I don't use very often in a container on top of the shelving. Like Christmas, Fall or children's fabrics.

It's been like Christmas finding beautiful fabrics that I had previously purchased but were buried deep in the containers.

I know this will be a benefit in the long run. It sure makes for Happy Quilting!

15 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ever since I've moved the bulk of my stash to the cupboards, I've enjoyed using my fabric more. Simply because I know what I have. I also realized it's time to use up the stuff that's 20-25 yrs old. So glad you found a system that works for you.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow! I knew IKEA was the way to go! Unfortunately when I set up my sewing room closet, the nearest IKEA was 4-5 hours away. We may be moving this fall, and if we do, I'll be heading to the IKEA that's now just 45 minutes away.

Jeanne said...

Boy, do I need to do this! Your storage solution is great. I bet it felt like shopping finding all of the fabrics you had forgotten about. :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

It seems we all need help with sorting and storing our fabrics. I know I do. So I appreciated this post very much. Good tips that I will keep in mind as I build the old stash!

Jacqueline said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing

allthingzsewn said...

Hmmm, I gotta closet and I starting to get a stash. IKEA here I come. Great idea, thanks for sharing.
Blessings
Tonia

QuiltShopGal said...

I definitely need to make a trip to IKEA. Thanks for the great shopping research and sharing your wonderful organizational trick. I also like that you can stack these. Very handy in deed.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

claudia said...

Ikea should send you a prize! I think you may have made their sales go up! I certainly want to get some of those baskets now, although I will have to order mine through their website. There's no Ikea close to me at all!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

I am always trying to figure out how to organize my material. I love your wire basket ideas but my closet for my material is not large enough to put them in. I am afraid of fading if I leave them out! Great idea you have though! Nancy

Janice Holton said...

Love a good reorganizing post! :)

margaret said...

look out Ikea I am on my way!! These look great I have a massive chest of drawers with my half and metre fabrics in them, loads of plastic ones with smaller pieces which although I can easily bring them downstairs when I am looking for scraps for practise blocks the wire trays look so much easier, just that they cannot be carried about is disturbing me slightly think I will get one set to try.

Helen said...

I have stored most of the smaller pieces of my stash in these Ikea wire baskets for many years. They are stored under a work surface. Instead of doors curtains protect the material from the light and are easy to open for access.

Stacey said...

Well that is just spiffy! I'm not a quilter or sewer but can think of several things those could be used for. ;)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow - great savings on your storage systems - when you are done you are welcome to continue your organizing skills at my house ( ha ha!)

PeepersPerch said...

do you know the name for these Ikea baskets? If you don't know their name it is hard to find those items on the website. I have been using wire cubes but my cats drag the fabric out and throw it on the floor or climb in the cubes to sit on stuff. I am tired of constantly washing fabric to remove kitty evidence.