Monday, May 23, 2016

Shades of red - the saga of pre-washing fabrics

I normally pre-wash my larger pieces of fabric.  In the past I always would pre-wash my red fabrics, as they do tend to bleed, but one time I was in a hurry and lived to regret it.

Case in point. I am gathering up fabric for the red and white quilt.

This time I threw a color catcher into the wash load with these red fabrics.

WOW! What a deep shade of pink.

Feeling this was a lot of dye that was released from the fabric, I decided I would run the reds through another load.

Yep, color catcher gave me another lovely sheet of pinks.

So next time you use reds in your quilt, do you think you would pre-wash the fabric, or take the chance??

Check out this informative YouTube by Weeks Ringle.


10 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I always prewash, but if I didn't, I'd make sure that I did reds and very deep blues. And if I can't prewash (when I use precuts), I make sure I wash the quilt at least 2-3 times with a color catcher or two.

Denise :) said...

I rarely pre-wash, unless I'm doing a swap or something and it's part of the requirements. But wow -- I'll certainly think again, the next time I'm using reds like that!!! :)

QuiltShopGal said...

I'm a firm believer in prewashing. I don't like working with fabrics that have chemicals on them, so I try hard to wash before the fabric gets to snuggle up with any other of my fabric.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Salmagundi said...

I've always pre-washed every bit of fabric for 40 years ---- no regrets!!!

Donna~~ said...

I always prewash also. But even prewashing, I've had a few things bleed. Once while ironing some red blocks from PREWASHED fabric, I spilled my water on the blocks. Didn't really worry about it, but ran to get some towels to clean up the mess. By the time I got to the blocks they had bleed onto each other. I'm just grateful they didn't make it into the quilt.

QuiltSue said...

It's quite surprising to see how much dye came out on the second wash. Thank you for showing it.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've had so many quilt store fabrics bleed the last few years. I always wash my fabrics before I use them. Bleeding is one of the reasons I don't like to use precuts.

margaret said...

mine are all prewashed sometimes especially in winter when I cannot peg out to get them dry it frustrates me but it is worth it, accidently missed washing one orange piece which I used for a border and it ran into all the white sashing which now looks tea dyed

Allie-oops Designs said...

I always pre-wash - unless it's a charm pack, which you really can't. I did a table runner for a gift, using a red charm pack, and it did bleed even with a color catcher; so disappointing!

Shelly said...

I like to pre-wash, but with some pre-cuts, that isn't always a good idea. I do when I can, especially reds, blacks, and navies. And aren't Color Catchers wonderful? They have saved me many times in the event I don't get to pre-wash!