Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Help for the unorganized

I think we all collect a healthy assortment of patterns as we make our way through this quilting adventure. Not only do I have patterns that I've purchased at the LQS, but I have also downloaded patterns from my computer. So what to do with all of these dreams in the making.
This file folder has worked really well to help me keep track of paper patterns.  Of course it is fun to use pretty folders.


Perfect for storing individual patterns.

Another great tool for organizing. I like going vertical as it frees up work space.

I found this storage unit at Target on clearance. It's also handy to carry if you need certain notions for a class.

I try to keep my craft scissors and fabric scissors separated. I use the little green garden tool holder and the jumbo pencil cup.

Whenever I find these magazine organizers at the thrift stores, I swoop them up.  It's a great way to have them organized. These plastic magazine holders can be pretty dirty, but  I can put them in the bottom rack of the dishwasher, and they come out good as new :-)

For years I have cut out patterns from magazines, or downloaded and printed them off of the computer. I like putting them in a clear sleeve and into a notebook which is a wonderful way to store them. Lots of inspiration to take out the notebooks and browse through for creative ideas.

A slotted wooden ruler holder is a great idea, but I really did not have a good place to set one up. So instead I just put a nice long nail (thanks dear hubby) into the wall and hang my acrylic rulers in an out of the way spot. Most rulers have a hole to accommodate such a feat.
So how do you organize?

2 comments:

PymaGirl said...

Very clever and useful ideas. Thanks for posting.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have way too many rulers, so, I store them in a couple of places. One of the best places is under a folding side table in the dining room (against the wall). I have some wooden ruler holders that sit under there, and hold some of my rulers. I have a pretty table runner, that hangs way down the sides, that covers the rulers, so that they are not seen. The most used rulers are in my sewing room, in another wooden ruler holder, on a short bookshelf. What doesn't fit there, either leans against that short shelf, on the floor, or lives in a fabric ruler holder that a lady in one of my guilds, taught us how to make, years ago. The fabric holder holds 24" long rulers in the big pocket, and has 2 shorter pockets (that velcro closed) to hold shorter rulers). I take the fabric ruler holder with me to classes, etc. More rulers/templates are scattered all over the place.