Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday Feature

Organization is something that I really have to work at. It just isn't one of my gifts. But I would like to share a few things that help me to be a little more organized in my sewing area.

Recently Crispy of Crispy Quilts mentioned on her blog that she was a collector of patterns. I think we all collect a healthy assortment of patterns as we make our way through this quilting adventure. Not only do I have patterns that I've purchased at the LQS, but I have also downloaded patterns from my computer. So what to do with all of these dreams in the making.

I came across this file folder which has worked really well for my collection. Comes in very handy for paper patterns.

Of course it is fun to use pretty (or clearance) folders.

Who said we had to use plain old office manila folders?

Perfect for storing individual patterns as well.

Another great tool for organizing. I like going vertical as it frees up work space.

I found this storage unit at Target on clearance. It's also handy to carry if you need certain notions for a class.

My collection of scissors grows. And everyone in my household knows that if they use my fabric scissors......... well, they might walk the plank! I try to keep my craft scissors and fabric scissors separated. I found the little green garden holder at JoAnn's and the jumbo pencil cup at the office supply place.

Whenever I find these magazine organizers at the thrift stores, I swoop them up. With my "uh-hum" ever growing collection of quilting magazines, it is nice to have them organized. These plastic magazine holders can be pretty dirty, but I've found that I can put them in the bottom rack of the dishwasher, and they come out good as new :-)

For years I have cut out patterns from magazines, or saved the free sheets from the fabric manufacturers. I like putting them in a clear sleeve and into a notebook which is a wonderful way to store them. It's fun to take out the notebook and browse through for creative ideas.

A slotted wooden ruler holder is a great idea, but I really did not have a good place to set one up. So instead I just put a nice long nail (thanks dear hubby) into the wall and hang my acrylic rulers in an out of the way place. Most rulers have a hole to accommodate such a feat.

Well I hope that this Friday Feature has been informative for you. I'd love to hear your organizing tips as well!

Have a great quilting day!

14 comments:

Julia said...

You look organized to me!

Betsy said...

I organize exactly the same way except for the rulers of which I have a sliding ruler stand.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great organizing ideas - I like the stacking thingee.

Crispy said...

Oh I want one of those pink file thingys, maybe a few of them LOL. I have my small patterns sandwiched between the books on the book shelf and all the patterns from the internet in a 3 ring binder.

Crispy

Helen said...

Love your ideas. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs

Loralynn said...

Fantastic ideas!

linda lum debono said...

These ideas are terrific!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I think organization takes time and money. It takes time because the best solution has to come before you can organize, and most always it involves something that you don't have to do it with. I have to work hard at it too but little by little it comes. Then you get all organized and forget where you put it LOL.

Darlene said...

Wonderful organization things. Lots of great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Danielle said...

Great ideas... I especially like the pink file folder. I might have to get one of those too!

Allie said...

I love all these ideas!!! I really like your pretty file folders!

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Great idea's, doesn't feel good to be organized. Love the pink folder.

Becky said...

Don't you just love walking into an organized sewing room! I too use notebooks for patterns ripped out of my magazines. I organize them according to Scrap, Baby, Purses and Totes and some of my favorite designers (Bonnie Hunter, Silver Thimble, Pat Sloan) I don't have place for a ruler rack either. I keep them in a tote between shelving units. Love your colored folders and files. Great job! The only thing that I do differently is I have my projects in plastic rolling shelves. I also have some of my fabric (like dog prints or black and white fabric) in the drawers ready for a project.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

I just love discovering how other quilters get organised. Your working place is so neat !! Thank you for sharing this (especially the ruler storage). Have a nice day. Rachel D.