Monday, July 6, 2009

A little story


I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. While the whole USA had Friday off as a holiday, my dear husband had today off. So we took off and drove around the country side. We have not done this in years. The day cooperated with sunshine and beautiful skys. I've just gotten home and am catching up on reading all of the blogs :-)

While we were out, we talked about days past, when things were tight and our budget was small. In all of our struggling days there is one thing that was ever consistent. The Lord always provided us with food on the table and a dollar for our bills. My fondest memory is when the children (who were quite small at the time) prayed and prayed for a truck for their Daddy.

A relative lent us a truck so dh could drive to a job. One day dh decided that he needed to return the borrowed truck and use our car. After dropping off the truck, we all climbed into my car and drove home. Dh packed his tools into the car and took off. Less then 10 minutes later I heard the doorbell ring. My first thought was that dh had forgotten something and came back to pick it up. By the time I got to the door there was no one there, but I saw an old truck in the driveway. And there was an envelope stuck in the Christmas wreath on the front door. Inside the envelope was a note, a key, and a car title. The note said "From some folks who love you. Merry Christmas". My children were jumping for joy as they saw that their little prayers had been answered. Now this old truck was by no means a luxury. It had holes in the floorboard, no A/C and lots of rust. But this little truck was such a blessing to my dh and myself, as he was able to use it for work for several years.

I share this little story with you today because of a phone call I received last week. We have friends who are missionaries in the Ukraine. A young family with five little chilren. Scott called us last week to give us an update on how things are going there (thanks Skype). He is such an expressive and grateful young man. He shared how his little children had been praying that the Lord would meet their needs. He shared with me that he only had about $4.00 in his pocket on a particular day. And on that particular day, their needs were met! God answered their heartfelt prayers. Scott has a big job ahead of him. There are so many needs for the people in the Ukraine. They are a people without hope, and Scott's little family has given up their life here in America to help those in need. If you have a minute, please take a look at their website.

Now my mama hen has been peeking around the corner. She is wondering if you have made a comment on her post about the giveaway? Sly little thing. She's taking a couple of days to sit on the fabrics, but wants to be sure that all of you know where to write your comments. If you go to the little blue box at the top right of the screen and click on Club 98, it should take you to the right post. And be sure to leave a way that she can contact you if you are the winner!

Have a wonderful evening and happy quilting!

10 comments:

Allie said...

Oh my yes - the Lord takes care of His own - I love these stories of how He provides.
I'll be praying for Scott, his family, and the people he's trying to reach. Thanks for the link!

Crispy said...

What a wonderful and wonderous story Jocelyn. We ask and often the answer is no, but when it is yes it's usually in the biggest way.

Crispy

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Yes, God is good and loving and a wonderful provider! I have seen the good Lord work in so many areas in my life when there was no way that anything could have been turned around! Just loved reading your post! blessings,Kathleen

blushing rose said...

Ahhh! How sweet. My DH always wanted a truck, too. The neighbor sold me his (literally) junk heap for $200 & when DH came home from work there was this old rattle trap truck for him ... you would have thought he received a gold mine. Then when Mother died I took my inheritance & unbeknownst to him, bought him a brand new truck ... the day the new truck arrived, as DH was driving home, the gear shift went through the floor board & it died at the end of the driveway. It was a nasty cold snowy eve ... I put him in the car & we went to town ... drove him to the dealership & explained what I did ... he jumped out of that car in the nasty weather running around looking for that new truck. Crazy how things work out ... we still chuckle over this.

Jocelyn, I'll go read the other post now. Don't you just love driving around in the country side ... we do that every now & then. So relaxing & serene.

Hugs, Marydon

Lindsey said...

so wonderful...He is so good and provides all we need.
Amen

Micki said...

That's a great story!
Micki

Pat said...

I'll check out the Ukraine missionary blog in a little while. Did you know you won a prize in the Minnesota designers' blog hop? If not, go to Gudrun's World (blog) and click on Day 9 of the giveaway on her blog....and then she will link you to Jamie Kalvestran's blog and that is where you will see your name listed as one of the 10 winners there of Jamie's patterns. (I am one of the winners there, too....Woo-Hoo!!!)

Anonymous said...

Acts of kindness and wonderful story to start my day off right. Thank you. My brother believes in Kharma....he always lives a huge tip when being waited on. He believes that it brings you back much....apparently he is right as his business is booming in this economy!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great stories.

And nice mama chicken - peeking out at us.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Ohhh the wonders of God!