Monday, January 21, 2019

Inside the Lines

Quilting. What is that to you? Is it only the chosing of color and fabric? Or the cutting up said fabric and sew it together? Or do you consider your quilt is not really "quilted" until the three parts are quilted together? Do you do it yourself? Or do you send it out?

I have always quilted my own quilts. Mostly lap size and smaller. But since acquiring the HQ Sweet Sixteen, I'm being challenged to quilt larger quilts.

I found this book at the library. Which I think will be very helpful.

Lots of examples to learn and copy from.

As I looked through my own library I found these helpful books.

Lots of patterns

And then I found this classic book in my own library.

Even though it was written for hand quilting, I think some of these patterns could also be used for machine quilting.

And then there are these?

I've used these before and have had pretty good success.

How about you? What do you do to help your machine quilting along?

Happy Quilting?
 

4 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your pretty string blocks made me realize there was a movement afoot, Jocelyn.
I just don't seem to have the skill for machine quilting even though I would dearly love to be able to quilt with the easy and fluidity the videos show. But I do love hand quilting and I'm going to look up two of these books you mention. Thanks.

Karen's Korner said...

I quilt all my quilts on my DSM but it is nothing fancy. Enjoy your sweet 16 -you have plenty of inspiration in those books.

Farm Quilter said...

I love the Angela Walters books of FMQ patterns...I have them all! I also love to see the work of other quilters...Karen McTavish and Lisa Calle. I belong to a few groups on Facebook for quilting and love to see what they are doing. The Big Dream (Bold Notion Quilting) panel is amazing and what quilters are doing with it...wow!! I can't quilt on my DSM and have an Innova 18" that I adore!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I took machine quilting classes well over a decade ago. I didn't like it back then, but, I would like to take some classes again and see if I can improve. I can machine quilt small things, but large quilts get sent out. I used to hand quilt everything, but got burned out back in 2010, while trying to do double feathers. Now I'll hand quilt small things, but I won't do a large quilt again (and I don't have room for the frame anymore, either).