Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Crafting for Health?

There are so many different aspects to crafting.  I think we all need some kind of creative outlet.  Whether we are good at something, or just enjoy the process.

Are you a sensitive person?  Do you notice fine scents, sounds, tastes or works of art? I tend to notice sensory changes.


 For so many years I would stuff it down, and try to conform to what everyone else was doing.

When I read an article on how crafting can actually advance healthy living along with  joy and creative satisfaction, I stopped to ponder about this.

Whether it is cooking, gardening, knitting or sewing, crafts have become a proven way to bring sanity and calmness in a sometimes hectic world. You see apparently the brain cannot dwell on stress when it is engaged by the repetitive movement of your chosen craft. 
 Sometimes you come up with a solution to a problem when you give your brain a break.

So is that the reason we should cook, garden, knit, or quilt??  No I think the reason is that we enjoy it. And in turn that becomes our "therapy".

Crafting makes us happy, and we can also make other people happy, by making gifts for our family, friends and charity.  
So let's think of it this way.  The quality may not be perfect, but in the end, you have gained a healthy attitude and you have not wasted your time :-)

To find out if you are a highly sensitive person, you can do the self test at this website Highly Sensitive Person.  

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Excellent post. And getting older has made me most aware of this. Need fabric and sewing to maintain a balance:)

Kathy E. said...

Jocelyn, I couldn't agree with you more! Crafting and creating is my stress-free zone. Once in a while, it produces stress (like when the seam ripper actually gets hot from overuse), but it still takes my mind away from other things that bother me. Every project is filled with love as I sew with a recipient in mind. What a blessing it is to give my creation to a loved one...filled with love!

straythreads said...

Well said isn’t it wonderful when something we enjoy doing is good for us
Have a great week

Carol Swift said...

Such a sweet post, Jocelyn. I enjoy sewing, but sometimes I need to take a break and step back to enjoy other crafty things. My projects aren't always perfect, but I love the creativity and the gift giving part.

FABBY'S LIVING said...


Great post and your talent is amazing ! I always mentioned to you how I would love to learn and live near you, hihihi..
Thank you for your kind and sweet comment on my struggle with blogging. I just posted on a decision which my husband help me take.
You are one of my dear bloggie friends, I so would miss you and do not wish to.
Love,
Fabby

Quilting Tangent said...

Agree!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Crafting is important. Remember the football player Rosey Grier who did needlepoint?

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Excellent post!! Being productive is therapeutic for me, as well.

Allie said...

Well amen to all of that!!! Another way sewing benefits me, I find - when I'm making up a pattern, from the drawing to the writing instructions, my mind is engaged and active. I think it helps ward off some senility - at least I'm hoping so, lol!!!!