Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Spice King



Elizabeth Camden has once again written a fabulous historical fiction in The Spice King. I absolutely loved her characters and the depth of their interaction.

Annabelle Larkin is determined to win a donation from the Delacroix plant collection. Fresh out of school in Kansas, she feels somewhat at a lose to be living and working in Washington DC. Working in the Smithsonian for only two months, she tries every way she knew to contact the elusive Gray Delacroix.  After writing two times to Gray, she refuses to give up, being the latest of in a long line of botanist who'd tried and failed to make headway with Mr. Delacroix. If she can obtain the coveted Vanilla Orchid, she would secure her position with the Smithsonian. Boldly she makes her way to the Delacroix home. Along the way she spies a Spice map and hopes to gain entrance to entice his interest. As she meets Gray she notices that he is quite ill, the effects of Malaria, but he demands to see the map. Adamant that he doesn't trust the government, Annabelle charms her way into the man's greenhouses.

This is the most charming tale. The story is full of historical insights from a time when there was no regulation on foods stuff. I love how the relationship between Gray and Annabelle progressed and how they learned to trust each other. A definite 5+ star on my scale.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

1 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I loved reading your post about crafting for health. I often say stitching is my therapy; my mind drifts and does not think of stressful things when I am doing anything involved with my sewing. There's definitely something to this idea. If only everyone could find something like this-a hobby, to enjoy, they might not need meds.,etc. Anyway, thanks for this review. There was a time I only read historical fiction.