Friday, August 23, 2019

Let's talk organization

Organization is something that I really have to work at. It just isn't one of my gifts. But I would like to share a few things that helps me to be a little more organized in my sewing area.

 
 I think we all collect a healthy assortment of patterns as we make our way through this quilting adventure. Not only do I have patterns that I've purchased at the LQS, but I have also downloaded patterns from my computer. So what to do with all of these dreams in the making.

I came across this file folder which has worked really well for me. Comes in very handy for paper patterns.

Of course it is fun to use pretty folders.

Who said we had to use plain old office manila folders?

Perfect for storing individual patterns as well.

Another great tool for organizing. I like going vertical as it frees up work space.

I found this storage unit at Target on clearance during the holidays. It's also handy to carry if you need certain notions for a class.

My collection of scissors grows. And everyone in my household knows that if they use my fabric scissors......... well, they might walk the plank! I try to keep my craft scissors and fabric scissors separated. I found the little green garden holder and the jumbo pencil cup at the office supply store.

Whenever I find these magazine organizers at the thrift stores, I swoop them up.  It's a great way to have them organized. These plastic magazine holders can be pretty dirty, but if you  put them in the bottom rack of the dishwasher, and they come out good as new :-)

For years I have cut out patterns from magazines, or downloaded and printed them off of the computer. I like putting them in a clear sleeve and into a notebook which is a wonderful way to store them. It's fun to take out the notebook and browse through for creative ideas.

A slotted wooden ruler holder is a great idea, but I really did not have a good place to set one up. So instead I just put a nice long nail (thanks dear hubby) into the wall and hang my acrylic rulers in an out of the way place. Most rulers have a hole to accommodate such a feat.
Happy organizing!

5 comments:

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

You're getting nice and organized! I'd like to hang my rulers too, but can't in a rental... so my rulers live in the wooden holders and take up space :) xx

gailss said...

Some really nice tips and think I am going to use a couple...thanks;)))

FABBY'S LIVING said...


I Love old style files and this one is perfect for filing papers, patterns and pictures.
Such pretty things and your quilts are forever a work of art my friend.
https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/glazed-lemon-pound-cake-loaf/
Here is the link to the Lemon Pound Cake. It has a glaze I don't do so not to make it so sweet, but someday I could. It's really delish. Try it !
Thanks for popping in to visit.
Fabby

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Nice tips! I have the stacking thingy too and love it. My friend recently gave me a small tackle box for taking sewing items to retreat and it is pretty handy too.

Susan McCormick said...

Try using 3M Command hooks - I have several rulers hanging on mine and you don’t have to put holes in the wall