Friday, January 10, 2020

Good to know

Have you ever bought charm packs only to find that you don't have quite enough to finish your quilt?  Or maybe you just want to make your own charms.

That's when this handy tool comes to the rescue :-)

You can easily cut as many charms as you like.  Cut strips into 5" or 6" and then re-cut the strips to make the charms.

Here is the yardage recipe for a 6" charm pack -

1/4 yard = 8 squares
1 fat quarter = 12 squares
1/2 yard = 24 squares
3/4 yard = 40 squares
1 yard = 56 squares

You can also cut your jelly roll strips.



Very fast and easy.
 
Yardage guide for strips. I always find this information helpful when trying to decide how much fabric to purchase.

Width = Strips Per Yard -

1.5" = 23 strips
2" = 17 strips
2.5" = 13 strips
3" = 11 strips
3.5" = 10 strips
4" = 8 strips
4.5" = 7 strips
5" = 7 strips
5.5" = 6 strips
6" = 5 strips

This method seems to be just as effective as a cutting system.  Plus it doesn't take up storage room when not in use.  I just slide it next to my sewing machine table until I need it again.

Happy Quilting!
 

4 comments:

claudia said...

Sad to say...I have that ruler and I have yet to cut up fabric with it. I'm going to have to get that out now and play with it!

Marie said...

Great idea. I have one of those rulers/tools and am continually amazed at the quick work that it makes of cutting strips.

QuiltGram said...

I’m sitting her with my morning tea visually slapping myself as I say, “Duh”! I have a Stripology (think that’s the name) and only use it to cut strips!!! And yes, I have wanted to have charm squares using my own fabrics. So, thanks for posting this as now I AM going to have a stack of charm squares. This post just made my morning!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have that one (and always forget to use it) and I also have another one that cuts 2.5" strips (or multiples of that, like 5" strips). I do use that one a lot.