Thursday, April 30, 2020

Encourage


These days seem long and hard. Social distancing has taken a toll that most of us never realized could affect us so deeply. The whole month of April has pressed down and left us away from friends and loved ones. I know it was hard for me, as my birthday went by with no acknowledgement. 

The truth is, we need people. My hubby and I love to have people over for dinner. But of course that has been put to the wayside. These are our people. The ones we love and lean on, walk along side with, in this journey called life. The people we trust with our darkest secrets and share our wildest dreams. 

How many people really open up when they are hurting? Yes, we can send a text or email to someone to keep in touch, but sometimes it is nice to get a note or letter in the mail. It's like a little visit. We need to encourage one another and send a word of comfort. It makes it more personal to think that someone took the time to write a word of encouragement and support.

Perhaps you know someone who is home bound, even before the stay at home order. Or a widow or widower who is facing these times alone.. Do you know, many people in nursing homes never have a visit from family members or friends? How sad is that?

Can I challenge you to find someone to encourage? Take a few minutes out of your day to bring sunshine to someone else? You may find your friends need a little more encouragement on an average day than they do on their birthdays.

4 comments:

QuiltShopGal said...

Excellent and inspirational post. Thank you.

Allie said...

Aw happy birthday, Jocelyn!!!! Mine was missed as well - although my son who lives with me gave me a birthday gift and sang to me! I couldn't even see my mom. I pray we never forget the lessons learned during this time - and I pray it's over soon. Excellent post, dear heart.

Carline said...

Belated Happy Birthday wishes. I know how it is these days. I am married but he is working long hours and pretty much just comes home and turns the TV on then goes to bed. I feel like I haven't had any personal touch for months. Your suggestion to write notes did not fall on deaf ears. I just put it on my daily to do list. Saturday, I got a lovely card in the mail and was surprised to see that it was for a couple of masks. That card meant so much to me. Thanks for the post. Keep on Keeping on!

Elaine Adair said...

Happy Birthday to you - eve nif it's late - Hey, make a trip to grocery store, buy a cake and candles and ... do they sell wine at your gro. store? - anyway, make a day just for YOU!!! Buy shrimp!!! I'm sitting here all by myself, and earlier, practically accosted a kind friend who dropped by - we are all getting kinda goofy, aren't we? How did the pioneers do it?

Why are we so reticent to call people? That's an odd thing isn't it?

Keep on keepin' on. There are always closets to clean, and perhaps the end of this isolation is not too far away.