Saturday, February 18, 2012

It's a magical place


For quilters, something happens when we cross over the threshold of a quilt show. I think the change affects each one of us differently. There are no specific symptoms but something definitely takes place within us.

It is a magical journey that starts the moment we enter the building. It provides a rush to our adrenaline and pleasure to our senses . We see beauty everywhere we step. Where to start? Do we look at the quilts first, or do we scope out the vendors for that prize piece of fabric or the latest designs in patterns. It is enough to make my head spin.

Eight years ago, I attended my first major quilt show in Nashville with my two quilting buddies. We stayed at the Opryland hotel, which was hosting the quilt show. We entered the doors and could not believe how much there was to see. Rows and rows of vendors and some of the most beautiful quilts we have ever laid our eyes on. We attended two lectures given by Alex Anderson. What fun! By the end of the first day, we were on overload and headed back to our room. We brought out all of our bags and took out every item for close inspection. We would oooh!! and ahhh! with so much delight, stroking each others fabric and reviewing all of the books and patterns. For the next two days we enjoyed the euphoria of every quilting treat that was available.

In the years since, I attended the Quilt Festival in Chicago, and the AQS Quilt show in Paducah. Each one has its own unique spin on the quilting community. It's what drives the psychological part of our desire to make beautiful things. Whether it is art quilts or traditional, batiks or reproduction. The mere thought of a trip to a quilt show is enough to start my exit from reality. It is a mystery that once again brings me back to the reason why I quilt. For the beauty of it, and the love of experiencing what others have created in a world of fabric.

Which quilt show will you be attending this year?

15 comments:

Susan said...

I've been to several national shows, but quite honestly I enjoy the smaller local shows more than the big ones. The crowds are smaller and I think the workmanship is just as good as what you see at the big shows! There are several guild shows coming up in our area this spring and I hope to get to see them all!

Denise in PA said...

I know exactly what you mean! When I walk into a quilt show, I get butterflies in my stomach and joy in my heart. Honestly, I know it sounds corny, but that's what happens! I'm attending MQX for 3 days in April and one day at the PA Natl Quilt Extravaganza in September. I'm going to try to stop myself from going to the NJ Quilt Festival next weekend (since I'm going to MQX), but there's a good chance I'll cave and go on Saturday. o:)

MB in MI said...

With my girlfriend from 6th grade, we'll attend the AQS quilt show in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in August. It will be our first--we're SO excited!!

andsewon said...

I am going to attend the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show in Hampton,VA this coming Friday.
Only going for the day. I did not think I could do 2 days. Though I wish I had signed up for a couple things on Thur. Oh well always next year! Love the hustle and bustle of it but when it gets so crowed hard to enjoy! I always find some fav quilts or quilted items to drool over! Vender area is like a candy and toy store for a kid!! First I get my years supply of thread from Superior. After that we are off to see what we may want that we did not know we wanted! Getting high on the smell of new fabric and such! Hahaha!

Karen O said...

I joined a local guild in December, and our quilt show is in April. That will be my first. Then, in June, I will be going to the big Minnesota Quilters show. They award a scholarship to a new quilter each year, and I won! Preview, a class, lectures, hotel, I can hardly wait. I feel very blessed by the opportunity.

regan said...

I feel the same way you do....that exhilaration when you first walk in, and a huge hesitation when it's time to go, thinking that I might have missed something amazing!

I'll be going to the MQX in Providence in April....my first time there. And I am hoping to make it to the Vermont Quilt Festival in June! And, of course, the Maine State Show! Wow....now that I list them, I'm going to see quite a bit.....YAY!

Loris said...

So true! You sure wrote an accurate description! I only see a couple of quilt shows each year...one locally with 7 quilt guilds involved and the larger show in Santa Clara which is the Pacific International Quilt Show. Each have their own definite charm.

imquilternity said...

I'm planning to attend the Glendale Quilt Show, Long Beach Quilt Festival and Pacific International Quilt Show (in Santa Clara) this year. I missed all three of them last year so I'm really looking forward to going this year. As much as I love quilts, I love fabric more so I always visits the vendors first. Then I wander through the quilts and that gives me time to evaluate whether I need to go back to some of the vendors! I shouldn't even admit this, but for the longest time, I only visited the vendors. :)

Denise :) said...

The first quilt show (of any size) that I ever attended was also the AQS show in Nashville ... the last year they had it there. I was so sorry they moved it to Knoxville the next year ... and even sorrier that last year was the last one in Knoxville! But back to that first show - it was magical. My hubby took me and I think it was then that I realized I would be a quilter forever. :)

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I have attended one local one this year, (so much fun!) but never a big one. But my bro and SIL are moving to Nashville, so I may have to plan a visit at an opportune time! xo

Michele said...

I've only been to the local guild ones so far, partially because I don't have anyone to go with. I'm hoping to go to the NJ show too. Perhaps I could meet up with some quilt bloggers and enjoy it in good company.

Thelma said...

I'll be at Paducah again this year, my 5th year. I'm hoping to make it to Houston this year also. I saw that Fleur de lis quilt last year, my favorite quilt show quilt that isn't red!

Jen said...

Looked fun at the quilt show. A lovely quilt on display. You don't know where to start looking there is so much to see. Love it !!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Chicago lost the quilt show to Cincinnati. I'll just be attending (and demo-ing my vintage machines) at my quilt guilds show in March. http://www.prideofprairie.org/QuiltShow.htm Come if you are near the Chicago area.

Shelly said...

Will you in Paducah this year? If so, I need to meet you!!!!!