Friday, February 24, 2012

A little experiment

For several years now, I have been eying the smaller mid-arm quilting systems. There was one particular quilting machine that always drew my attention.

So last year when finances had improved, and there was a better place to set one up, I was seriously considering making the purchase. But alas, the mid-arm machine that I wanted was no longer being made! The company took the size 16 and made a sit down table. I was very disappointed.

For me, this sit down table does not solve my particular quilting problem. I can quilt on my Bernina, but it has been a challenge to keep the back taunt and not pucker.

If you have ever watched John Flynn quilt, he turns his machine so the smaller area is to the back. Why not try it myself.

I am going to try this on different ufo's that have been waiting patiently for my attention.

It doesn't really make any sense to me to buy another table when I can use my Bernina to do the quilting.

Have you ever tried quilting this way?? I'll keep you posted on my progress :-)

16 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I have never tried that...let us know how you find it.

Suburban Stitcher said...

I definitely would love to know how it turns out! It makes sense...as the hard part always seems to be the scrunched up sides...

Dawn said...

I've not tried that eaither, looking forward to hearing what you think :)

Allie said...

Let us know how it goes! I haven't tried that myself. I'm afraid I'll run over my fingers, lol. Is this just for free motion?

kutiequilter said...

That is how the HQ sit down machine is shown to be used. Am interested to hear how you like it!

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

I think a lot of quilters are waiting for your opinion and wondering why we didn't think of it. It will take some getting use to but should work and will change the location of where we have the big scrunch-up. If only the sewing maching companies would take the time to realize we need more room to the right of our needles!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

That's a great idea...

Go to this You Tube video. The gal will show you how to make a cheap quilting table. Essentially, it makes a large flat surface even with your sewing machine so there is no drag on your quilt while you are quilting it.

It's not spam. I promise. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM

Barb said...

It looks like you could see better that way...may have to try it..thanks!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

What a great idea. I purchase a floor model hobby size Viking Megaquilter four years ago along with the frame, which is brand new in the box, and there it sits. I didn't have the space to put it up, and now that I will I am rethinking. Maybe I should try selling it. Hmmmmm. If anyone is interested, please let me know, maybe I would consider selling it.
Have a wonderful weekend filled with quilting my friend!
Julie

sew.darn.quilt said...

I'd love to hear how this technique works out for you. I'm fairly jammed up in my space and trying to quilt can at times be so frustating. Keep us posted ;)

Carolyn

SUSAN said...

I'm trying to visualize this, but failing. Could u explain to a little more?

Dora, the Quilter said...

I tried it for quite a while--I thought it would be more comfortable with after more hours of practice--but it wasn't. Now that I'm quilting on treadles, it's a moot point anyway since there's no way I could treadle sideways!;-D

sewfunquilts said...

I tried it a couple times and it was ok...but awkward and went back to the same ol.. I think it would just take some getting used to doing it.

Yes...let us know how you do.

The Quilt Ladies said...

I need to do this too, PLEASE keep up posted ! !

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I'm very interested in your research results Maryt!!

Carrie P. said...

Interesting! I have seen John do that but never really thought about trying it myself. Let us know how you like doing it that way.