Monday, July 1, 2013

What a find!

Sometimes I come across sewing and quilting items when I check out the local thrift shop.  In years past, I've found quilt books and magazines at a fraction of the retail cost.

If you remember a couple of weeks ago I mentioned I had found a quilting ruler and some border patterns.  So the other day I happened to drop back into the Hospice thrift store, just to look around ;-)

What I found was a wrapped package of fabric, marked 2 yards for $2.49.  I tried to see if I could read the selvage, but it was printed so lightly it was not distinguishable.  It was nice fabric, so I bought it, as I can always use a couple of yards for backing.


However, when I got home, and I really examined the selvage closely, I discovered that it says "Fairy Frost"!!!  Now I don't know about you, but Fairy Frost in our quilt shops runs $9 and $10 a yard.  The two yards that I bought ended up being $1.25 a yard!  Woo-Hoo!!! What a find!!!

And how about this calico facing??  I have NEVER seen facing in these colors before, and I've been sewing since the 70's and quilting since the 80's.  

Makes for some very Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Yay you! Truly a good find. I am probably heading out to do a little thrifting myself today.

Tammy said...

Oh how I miss my thrift shops from wher eI used to live. Only one thrift shop here in this lil rural town and never nothing there but truely junk. What great finds for you....I have given up on going thrifting here since each time I return empty handed.

NanaNor's said...

Wonderful finds! I know that you'll find good use for it-even it if is just for a bright binding.
Hugs, Noreen

Linda said...

What great finds! I love thrifting...you never know what you'll come home with! Have a great day!!

Kindred Quilts said...

Lucky for those two yards of fabric and calico facing... they have found a good home! :)

Sue said...

SCORE !! What a great find !

Jen said...

Great bargains ,nice fabric and so cheap. It is a happy feeling getting some specials and I'm sure they will be useful.

Millie said...

Lucky you, that is a great find. Enjoy!