Friday, January 7, 2011

A Little bit of History


Barbara Brackman has written a lot about quilts and the Civil War. In honor of the 150th anniversary Barbara has started a separate blog called Civil War Quilts, taking stories and patterns from her books and block-of the-month patterns. You can go to Barbara's blog (Material Culture) and read about how this all came about. Then you will want to jump over to Civil War Quilts and learn more about this war and make a block every week. At the end of the year we will have 52 blocks to make a quilt. Here is the first one

Catch Me If You Can

Let's sharpen our American history lessons skills this year :-)

Thanks Barbara!

17 comments:

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Quilting and History...sounds like a great homeschool project to me!

Cindy said...

I love American History, especially the Civil War era. And I love this block - ALOT !!!

have a good Friday, Jocelyn.

Val said...

How fun! I didn't like history in school but love it now! I joined you in the Word up fun!!!

Libby said...

Love that block!! and thanks for shsring those sites!

John'aLee said...

Great idea and beautiful block! Thanks for passing on the info!

Barb said...

I am still mulling it over...love our block!

Cheryl said...

Your block came out wonderful, too! We will follow each other's progress.

Micki said...

I do love your block! I saw that, and I am thinking of it , but I would have to get Civil War fabrics.
Micki

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Thanks for sharing this! I have a few friends who are really into the civil war quilts right now and I'm sure they'd love to check out her blog! :)

Carrie P. said...

I saw another blogger had done this block. It looks like it will be fun to follow along.

Toni said...

Your block looks great!!

The Charm of Home said...

That is a pretty pattern. To answer your question about my father's teddy bear, I think he has stuffing. He is very soft. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

Allie said...

That's a beautiful block. This sounds fun!

Crispy said...

The last thing I need is another project so I'm skipping this one. There certainly many who will be joining you on this one :0)

Crispy

Thelma said...

Thanks for the tip, a block a week, I'm not sure I'm up for that, I'll watch your progress, you're first block is a winner!

Sinta Renee said...

Oooh, thanks for sharing the infor! Wonderful idea... and I think it goes along with your WORD perfectly too!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

So neat - I just love your block!!! Not sure I can jump in, but I'm so looking forward to following you along this year!