Thursday, January 6, 2011

One Word

Kelly over at Charming Chatter has challenged us to come up with a word for the year. I've been thinking and pondering what my word for the year might be. I know what my word was last year. It was contentment. With all the changes that have been going on for the last couple of years, it was my goal to be content in the little things, which hopefully led to contentment in the bigger things.

But to graduate beyond contentment is a tall order. I am in such a new place in my life. After schooling my children for over 20 years, they are all grown. Not exactly empty nest, but they are young adults with goals and dreams of their own.

So where does that take me? What word would propel me into the next phase of life. If there is anything that I have learned as I've gotten older, it is that the plans I've made, or thought about don't always come to pass. Or there are detours that take me down a different path. So perhaps my word for this year should be..........

JOURNEY
We are all walking different pathways, and as we come to the next bend we have choices to make. My quilting journey has been a start and stop, start and stop venture through the years. I was always the last one working on a quilt, and I mostly have ufo's because of time constraints. However, I've always tried to work on projects that I loved. I love Darlene's word "heart" because if you don't love what you are doing, it because a drudgery, a job.

Visiting over at Ali Edwards blog, her post about One Little Word 2011 directed me to my word.

One Little Word
Can make
A
Big
Impact
on
Your
Life

at the end she wrote Join the Journey.

So my word for this year is Journey. It is a journey where we all fill the days with thoughts and plans, but in the end my Journey takes me on the path to build my character and faith.

What is your word for 2011?

20 comments:

kimland said...

I REALLY enjoyed this post and love your word. I too, have been pondering what my word will be. I have a short list and am not convinced that the "right word" is there, yet! Enjoy the journey!

Libby said...

Great post!!! My word would be "BALANCE" I am praying for a way to balance what is important to me.

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

I've been in a season of journey-ing for the last few years. This year I sense a bit more stability...hoping to SOjourn for a bit!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

(Did I at one time read that you are in Florida? I am :})

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Hmmmm....I like the idea and I'm going to ponder this myself.

Thanks!

Kelly

Cindy said...

You had quite a JOURNEY in 2010. May your JOURNEY in 2011 be as rewarding.

Hugs

Darlene said...

Your word for 2011 is perfect! Your post touched my heart - thank you so much. Everything we do is a 'journey' and we simply must remember to enjoy the 'journey'; it'll make your 'heart' sing.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

My word is Honor - so many ways to apply that - honor nature, honor self, hone differences - I am going to enjoy exploring this word this year.

Allie said...

I LOVE it!! What a great word! I picked the word "joy", because I really want to do everything this year with joy. I'm thinking of making a mini-quilt with my word on it, to remind me. I saw your word and ideas for a quilt just flooded in, lol!

John'aLee said...

I'm just loving these posts on the 'one word' subject.
I love yours. I've often told others when they are complaining about someone...that we are all on a journey...and we are at different places on that journey. God is working through us all at different times in our life...so if they are judging that person...they are basically judging God.
Thanks for your post.

Crispy said...

My word would be ENJOY...life, family, friends and quilting :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful word choice for you...life is a journey in all that we do. I've chosen breathe...without we have no journey.

Val said...

Oh I love your word!!! I will have to think on that one. I also love your button and have you on my sidebar as My blog pick of the week. By the way, the book you sent me is absolutely perfect!!!!!! We still haven't got to see the movie. A friend is very sick in hospital and have been there a lot since Christmas. Remember her in your prayers. She has a long way to go.

Carrie P. said...

This is very interesting. I went to the link and read about it. I am not sure what my word would be at this point but I will be thinking about it.
enjoy your "journey" this year.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

I love it - journey! What a great word to follow contentment! Great choice! Wishing you great journeys this year!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Boy everytime I think I am going to keep last years word of "believe" I hear of another tempting word--I love the word you chose--Journey---and one of your comments used the word "balance" and that would be a good one for me--as I tend to quilt before anything else--even housework!!!!
Bless you in your journey this year!
Hugs,Di

SewCalGal said...

Absolutely wonderful post. I'm inspired by the word you selected. Love it. I want to frame it, to quilt it, to embroider it, to wear it,so I hope you can tell I'm inspired by it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Journey is a great choice! I can relate to having stops and starts, life has so many twists and turns and one thing I've learnt is that my best laid plans often get changed by the circumstances of life. As a single mom of 4 those twists and turns almost always meant a change in direction for Mom. But still I Journey on and do the best with what I have! I really enjoy reading your blog by the way!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

May you enjoy this year's journey - Sometimes our paths are straight, sometimes there is a detour, sometimes a hill or a valley, but take the time to find the joy in it all.

Sharon said...

My word is content this year, for the very same reasons you chose it last year. I like your new word...may you have a wonderful journey this year!

Days and colors said...

Wishing you a wonderful journey!