Friday, September 2, 2011

Desperate!!!!

I've yet to find a place in my sewing room to use as a design wall. It became more evident that I need one when I was working on a quilt pattern this week, and my fabric pieces were redistributing themselves :-(

In my sewing room at our old home, I had carpet on the floor, and was able to lay out my pieces and pick them up to sew. So when I tried to lay out the pattern on my sewing table.......... well.... it was a disaster.

What to do, what to do ............

Hummmm............

As a temporary solution, I opened the closet door, and hung an old plastic tablecloth, backwards. I had to find some heavy enough boxes to hang the tablecloth from the top shelf.

Hey, maybe this will work after all.

Sewing the pieces together.

I was able to get this quilt top put together quickly and even did the quilting.

woo-hoo! Here she is - all quilted and waiting now for the binding!


If you would like to see some beee-u-tiful quilting work, hop over to Leslie's blog MarveLes Art Studios. Leslie is having an amazing giveaway.

And did you know that our very own fabulous Southern Belle Pat from Silver Thimble Talk has written a quilting book? And of course you KNOW she is going to have a good old fashioned par-tee to celebrate! Hop over and give that girl some quilting love for her amazing accomplishment :-)

Today I am joining Angie and Karen for

Finished It Friday

and Sew Darn Crafty ;-)

Happy, happy quilting!!

18 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous quilting!!! Just beautiful! I think your design wall fix is great!!

Donna~~ said...

I saw somewhere on a blog where someone had rigged a design wall that rolled or folded down from above the closet--she sewed in her guest room. Maybe that would work for you. I had been searching "design wall" to try to figure out what I wanted to do in my room (still haven't decided), when I found that set up, but my closet isn't workable for the design wall so I didn't keep the link.

Loris said...

I think this link shows what Donna was writing about. http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com/index.html
Maybe there's a space for this or something like it in your room.

Debbie said...

An easy idea to hang up a temporary design wall....use the 3M hooks , a small curtain rod, or dowel, and clothes pins or hooks of some type. I use the 3M hooks everywhere to hang wall hangings. Great finish on the quilt.

Impera Magna said...

What a lovely quilt... congratulations on your finish!

I have a temp design wall... 2 yds of 72"-wide felt hung by skirt hangers over a double door closet. Very easy to remove and hang out of sight when necessary...

Amy Friend said...

I hear you, I really need a design wall too. I have to use the floor which is very limiting with kids!

Angie said...

Oh my goodness - what a fabulous idea! I've been wanting a design wall for forever, but also have no place for it. Love your idea and your quilt, too...and thanks for linking up - you brought a big smile to my face!

Rebecca Nelson said...

You are A=MAZ=ING! Beautiful. What a fab idea!

xoRebecca

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Jocelyn, that is an amazing 'fix' - just goes to show you what you can do in a 'fix!' Nice project, too. You amaze me with all your stuff going on, and thank you for putting a plug in for my blog! XXOO

quiltingnana said...

I see that someone else posted about the vanishing design wall. It is on my wish list!

Allie said...

That is creative and it worked - good for you! Love the beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! I had to laugh at your tablecloth, reminded me of ME! But it worked and that's what's important! xo, Nan

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! I had to laugh at your tablecloth, reminded me of ME! But it worked and that's what's important! xo, Nan

Wendy said...

I know how you feel, I don't have a design wall either. Either way your quilt is stunning.

Crispy said...

Necessity is the mother of invention and quilters can always work out ways to get the job done :0) Pretty quilt too!!

Crispy

Val said...

This is absolutely beautiful!!!

Cheryl said...

What a great idea. I was thinking about making something using one of those roll down vinyl window shades. That way I could roll it up easy and stash it out of sight when not in use... still in the planning stages lol

gladrox said...

Beautiful quilt! I was looking for a simple more traditional quilt to make as a gift and this one fits the bill.

I had the same problem with living in an older home with not much wall space for a design wall. I have a similar solution with the vynal tablecloth tacked up over my closet doors with push pins. I was so happy to read about the "vanishing design wall" from one of the other comments! It was a "V-8" kind of moment for me, why didn't I think of the rolling shade? It's now no my list of improvements for the next update to the sewing room.