Monday, January 7, 2013

A Faithful Friend

I have a very sweet friend. She has been a friend of our family for over 20 years. Mrs. D. is a lively Southern belle who loves to bake goodies for my family. She will invite me over for lunch and we visit for the whole afternoon. Mrs. D's hubby died about 7 years ago, and it has been a lonely time for her. Her children and grandchildren live in differents states, so it is hard for them to come very often.
A couple of years ago I made this little quilt for her birthday. I made it from a fat quarter bundle that I found at the big cloth store. Thankfully I was able to obtain some closely matching fabric for the borders.

It was a very easy pattern (Sticks and Stones) which made it quick and fun to put together.

Mrs. D loves to watch the Food Network and the Travel shows on cable. She tells me that she has traveled the world by watching these programs. And she loves the chefs that design new recipes. We often are the recipient of a new cake or cookie recipe that she has experimented with. She usually tells me she took a taste test and she did not think it was very good. When I bring the treat home, my family has it gone in no time flat. But that is her hobby now, esp since she had hip surgery a few years ago. It really limits her ability to walk very much. Her limited walking has not limited her heart. She can whip out a bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich at the sound of the doorbell.

Here's my sweet friend...............

"A faithful friend is a strong defense; and he that has found such a one, has found a treasure."

19 comments:

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

She looks like a real sweetheart who will enjoy her quilt and your friendship.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Pretty quilt...And your friend looks like she has a sweet and gentle spirit. =)

Hilachas said...

How lucky you are to have that lovely friend. I like her quilt too :)

Shan said...

Very sweet.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a friend like that, too. Special people warm our hearts and souls.

regan said...

You are both blessed to have each other in your lives!

Allie said...

Bless her heart - she reminds me of our friend Shirley! Friends truly are a gift from the Lord.

Meggie said...

I once had a friend like Mrs. D...she was there for me anytime, day or night. She died several years ago and I still miss that friendship we had.

Barb said...

Lovely quilt....

Merlesworld said...

You are both lucky to have each other, good friends are hard to find.
Merle......

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

A treasure, indeed! And you, too, for her. Blessings to both of you!!

Cindy said...

How wonderful to have a faithful friend. Beautiful.

Lori said...

You are both blessed. It is wonderful to have such a friend.

Linda said...

So sweet!!! I think she loves the quilt too!

Melody said...

Both you and your sweet friend are Tuesday Treasures.

Michelle Ridgway said...

A lovely quilt for a lovely friend... A real treasure. Thank you for sharing her with us.
Hugs x

Helen said...

What a wonderful friend, as are you to her.

FleurBleue said...

Bonjour from France.

I just popped by from Melodys' to wish you Bonne Annee and to admire your treasure.

Friendship has got to be one of the BEST treasures.

Fiona x

Gale, Ky quilter said...

What a beautiful, beautiful lady. You have a treasure in this friend. And, the quilt you made her is beautiful as well.