Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursday

As I'm not back to quilting yet, I am linking up with Emily's new linky Sew Thinky Thursday.  She presents a sewing related question, and everyone shares their answers.

This weeks question is -

When did you start sewing? Tell us a bit about your sewing history. When did you realize you were really hooked? 

No one in my family sews, so my first exposure to sewing was in High School in Home Ec.  We were taught the basics in using a sewing machine and how to make garments.   I made garments for myself for a few years, but I took a quilting class at a local craft store because I wanted to learn how to quilt..  That was back in the day when we used scissors to cut the fabric and made our own templates out of sheets of plastic (sometimes undeveloped xray sheets).  We worked on a sampler quilt, making 12 different blocks.  At the end of our class, the teacher showed us the "new" tool that had just been introduced to the market.  The Rotary Cutter!!!

I never finished that quilt because my sister in law learned how to make the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin quilt.  That changed my quilting life and I was hooked!


Quilting is not only a hobby, it has become my therapy.  I can't wait to get back with it!

Happy Quilting!  

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I love hearing individual's sewing stories. Thank you, Jocelyn.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Sounds like we started about the same time. First class was a sampler cut with templates and scissors. Saw a rotary cutter and wondered why anyone would ever use something like that!

Gwen said...

I'd forgotten all about "Quilt in a Day" when I wrote my post! Thanks for the reminder. My mom took that class and made a quilt for my husband and I the first Christmas we were married--I still have it. For some reason, I never pursued quilting back then, but I'm sure doing it now! Thanks for sharing your story.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Hopefully you will be healed soon and get to start quilting again.

Miki Willa said...

I grew up in a sewing family. My grandmother and mother made most of my clothes when I was small. I remember the first skirt I made, followed by a pair of walking shorts with a pocket zipper. Now, my sister and my sister-in-law and I follow in their footsteps.

Char Wirfs said...

Funny story. I was at an Eleanor Burns program in the 1980's, but I had never met her or seen a picture of her. Just before she was scheduled to speak I ran to the restroom so I would not have to go in the middle of the program. There was this really goofy lady in there brushing her teeth and talking to me a mile-a-minute through a mouthful of toothpaste. I quickly returned to my seat and moments later Eleanor was introduced and out walked "the goofy lady" who had been brushing her teeth. Gotta love Eleanor!