Monday, September 15, 2014

A little more adventure

Over the Labor Day weekend, hubby decided that we would take the trailer on a short getaway.  We didn't venture far, but what a delightful weekend it turned out to be.

We made a reservation at the Williston RV Resort, in Williston Florida.  We drove the slow road instead of the interstate.

We were greeted with this fine patrol car!


Kind of makes you feel like you have arrived at Mayberry.

Our sweet little lady all set up.



We were right across from the covered bridge.


Over the long weekend we took day trips to several surrounding areas.  Years ago when my sweet hubby and I were dating we used to drive up to Cedar Key, an old fishing community on the coast.


Beautiful marshlands as you approach the island.


Some of the buildings in town were almost falling down.

This was the old hotel, which was closed obviously.


During our dating days we would eat at a restaurant called Johnsson's.  They had the biggest best fried shrimp you ever tasted.  And a specialty salad called Palm Salad made with heart of the palm cabbage.  The dressing was made with peanut butter and sherbert.

As Johnson's is no more, we ate at the SeaBreeze.

 Our view out of the window.


Cedar Key is a very old town.  The cemetery is dated from the 1800's. 




 I remember sweet hubby telling me a lot of the tiny plots were from a time when the town was nearly wiped out from Typhoid fever.


It's been many years since we visited Cedar Key, and it was a nice walk down memory lane.  The streets though, were full of tourists which took away the quaintness of the town we remembered.  I loved seeing again, but I will be happy to keep my memories of years gone by in tack.

Next time I will share with you a place where we ate that should be rated 5 star!

Happy Quilting!

8 comments:

Terry said...

What a lovely place to visit! I have to say the graves covered with shells is kind of cool...they make it look like each person who passed is covered with a quilt. I think I rather like that! :0)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've never been to Cedar Key but I've driven though Williston many many times. It does seem rather old fashioned.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've never been to Cedar Key but I've driven though Williston many many times. It does seem rather old fashioned.

margaret said...

It is good to o back and visit old haunts, can see you are enjoying this visit

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love the older Florida coastal towns ... A shame when they get too touristy.

Tanna said...

Wow! I'd love to visit there. These little trips must just infuse your life with inspiration and zest! A nice change of pace and scenery. I am looking forward to hearing about the five star spot. blessings ~ tanna

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great post, thanks for sharing all of the photo's, they are fabulous. So sad to see the old buildings in such disrepair. Sad, sad, sad.

The cemetery was pretty cool, it always makes me think about what their lives may have been like so long, long ago.

thanks again for sharing, enjoyed the post!

gailss said...

Sounds like it was great trip...nice to be able to go back and see past places and memories.