Saturday, May 11, 2013

Google vs Blogger



Yesterdays post about Google generated some great questions.  One very good question was asked by Shelley -

"Am I to understand that unless I change to Feedly or Bloglovin etc. that eventually my blog will be obsolete? Google just hosts blogs? i need a new host? But Blogger will still exist outside of Google? What happens if I don't change to something else? I sure hope techy son or you can help, cause I'm really lost on this whole thing " 

 Yay Shelley, I think we have an answer to your question -


REPLY -

Ok, here is an explanation, hope it helps. 

Blogger and Google Reader are two completely separate services from Google. They are not affiliated with each other at all. Your blog/blogger are not going anywhere at least as far as I am aware. Google Reader allows a person to view a preview of posts from websites that the user has specified that they want to see. This type of service is quickly becoming obsolete because sites like Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites allow companies (and bloggers) to do the same thing Google Reader does and more. Now, hopefully I didn't just confuse you more, but the simple answer is no, your blog is not going anywhere and other people will be able to see things you post just like normal, even after Google Reader closes. The only reason to join sites like bloglovin or feedly is so that you can have a single website to view all new posts from blogs you like to see. At least that's how it works to the best of my knowledge. 

And then I ASKED -

Okay, does that include the Dashboard??  That's how I read the blogs I am subscribed to.  I guess we are confused that the Dashboard may be subscribed via Google Reader.

REPLY -

I don't see anything that says that the dashboard is going away, though on my dashboard, I only get sites that I'm subscribed to through friend connect. 



Well I do think that helps me a little about the subscription reading.  I mostly read from my Dashboard, not from the Reader.  So IF they are not attached, perhaps the Dashboard will not go away when Reader is discontinued.  If anyone has more insights, please be sure to share your thoughts.






7 comments:

regan said...

Thank you so much! This really did help me understand this whole issue! And now I know I'm safe just reading from my dashboard! Yay!

Shelley said...

I think I've got it now...without google reader, I won't get updates to my blog sidebar for the blogs I follow. I would keep my own list and go visit them or read from my dashboard. Hope they leave the dashboard alone! Thanks So much:)

Sowing Stitches said...

I do not and have never used Google reader. Dashboard is the method I use, for me, it is much easier...and there is a setting in blogger that you can see updates of the blogs you follow on your sidebar. You can set it to show a few or all of your blogs you follow there.
The confusion and chaos surrounding the changes are a bad case of media frenzy, once again stirring folks up for no reason.

Barbara said...

How does all of this affect Google Friend Connect?

tich said...

Thanks for all the info. I have moved to Bloglovin and I really like it.

Susan said...

I've been in fear every since I learned that blogspot has photo limits that my blog will crash one day. I am meeting with a web designer this week to switch my content to a new host and begin another blog on my paper flowers. Thanks for all your info.
Happy Mother's Day, dear friend, XOXO

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I only use the Dashboard to keep up with the blogs I follow. I'm really hoping that it doesn't go away. July 1st is the date, isn't it? for Google reader to go away? I'll have to save all my links before then, just in case.