Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Ivy House

You know how it is.  Someone you know tells you about this great place here or there.  A restaurant, a hotel, an ice cream shop.  But when you find the place, take the taste, its often times less than you expected.

On our weekend trip, we asked where would be a good place to eat.  We were directed to the Ivy House.


When we first pulled up, I asked my sweet hubby, "Are you sure we want to eat here?"  The early 20th century house didn't exactly look very inviting.  Hubby said he would go in and look over the menu while I put my shoes on (do you travel with your shoes on?)

He waves me in.  The porch is old, and hosts a couple of antique rocking chairs.  

BUT, inside was delightful. At the entry there was a tall solid wooden counter, paralleling a staircase that led to the upper level.  A hostess greeted us and asked where we would like to sit.  She let us go from room to room, so we could choose our dining table.


Each room was distinctively decorated. 



The dining rooms reminded me of an old Tea House we used to haunt years ago in Tarpon Springs.


We selected the dining room that was situated at the front of the building.




It had a woodsy feel to it, and I knew my hubby would enjoy the surroundings. 


A view from my seat led me to the Porch dining room.


Very spacious, clean and bright.


We ordered from the menu which revealed a large selection of lunch and dinner meals.

As an appetizer my sweet hubby ordered Fried Green Tomatoes.


Have you ever eaten Fried Green Tomatoes before?  They are really yummy, and theses did not disappoint.

I thought I had taken a picture of our meals, but I couldn't find it.  But let me say that our meals were delicious.  Hubby ordered a Shrimp dinner that overflowed on his plate, Not only did he have the shrimp, but a baked potato, mixed vegges that tasted like they had been grilled in some kind of amazing sauce, and the MOST delicious piece of Corn Bread.  I ordered a Hamburger steak that was made from Certified Angus Beef.  The thick piece of meat had to be 4 inches across.  It tasted more like a piece of steak than a hamburger.

Their prices were reasonable and we both felt that the food was outstanding.  Definitely would give them a 5 star.

We talked with the owner at length.  She was so delightful and offered a happy smile.  She told us she had grown up 3 miles from this building.  This house used to belong to the local Doctor, who had actually delivered her.  I'm sure there was a lot of history in the old house.

If you ever find yourself anywhere near Williston Florida, (they also have a restaurant in Ocala), make the side trip.  You will not regret it!

6 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

So glad that it turned out to be a great place. I just hate when something's so highly recommended and turns out to be a dud.

Lady Locust said...

What fun ~ and nope, I take my shoes off:)

margaret said...

my mouth was watering just reading about what you both ate. An amazing looking place and so big the rooms seemed to go on and on and so many tables, would not like to do the cooking when the place was full

Tanna said...

LOL! Yes, I travel with my shoes OFF, too. I LOVE fried green tomatoes and that cornbread would be right up my alley. ;) Thanks for the recommendation. If I ever find myself in their neck of the woods, I'll be eating there too! blessings ~ tanna

gailss said...

Sounds really delightful and if we are anywhere near there, will check it out! Thanks

Sherrill said...

Oh MAN!! Fried green tomatoes..my mouth is watering!! I'm a fried green tomato snob & those look like they'd fit me to a T!! All sounded great.