Monday, September 19, 2016

Did you ever....

...make a huge mistake that you regretted for years?

 I learned to sew in Home Ec. My Mom never did any sewing on a sewing machine, but she had one. It looked like this -

 

 Yes, she had a sweet little Featherweight.

I wrestled with her Featherweight to the point of frustration. It never seemed to run right. I passed the Home Ec class and one of the first things I purchased after high school was a Singer Stylist sewing machine. After my proud purchase my thoughts at the time were, why would I need that old black thing that gave me so much trouble!!

So I sold it to a co-worker.

For $10.

Years later I mourned for that little black Featherweight. The more I heard of others sewing on Featherweights, the more I lamented. I was sure my old co-worker was still sewing on that little black machine.

 The new Singer was not a very cooperative machine. It was in constant need of repair. I felt so much frustration that I pretty much gave up garment sewing. As I began to quilt, I realized the need for a good straight stitch. A friend was getting a new sewing machine and she asked me if I would like her old Kenmore. Of course I said YES! I have sewn many, many miles on that machine. It was sturdy and faithful.

One Christmas, there was a little black box sitting under the Christmas tree. I wondered what in the world could be in that little box. At first I thought it was some kind of projector or camera. But when I opened the lid, there she sat, in all of her glorious Featherweight beauty. My sweet husband and son had been on a mission to buy me a new sewing machine. I was thrilled to say the least!! But that is not the end of the story. You see, my husband and son had gone to a sewing machine repair store and asked questions. The store owner told them that the Featherweight had the best straight stitch, and quilters everywhere coveted them. Hummm, but it isn't a new machine. Oh, if you want a new sewing machine you need to go to the store down the road.

So in addition to this little beauty, my husband and son bought a Bernina Virtuosa 155. Can you imagine my surprise when I not only opened the Featherweight but the next box had the words Bernina plaster on it!

Have you ever regretted letting something go? Were you able to recover the lost treasure?

Whatever the case, hopefully we learn by our mistakes.






10 comments:

Bernideen said...

I too learned on that sewing machine and see them pretty often at Estate Sales. My Mom had it and now my step-sister has it and put it in a cabinet. I made a very heavy cape on it in the 1970's out of upholstery fabric which was very thick. I am glad it stayed in the family.

Glad you got 2 dreams come true!

QuiltShopGal said...

I've made a few decisions in my life that I was sorry for later. But how sweet of your DH and son to buy you two machines. Very special in deed. May you never be sorry again, only proud of what thoughtful men you have in your life.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Patty@inStitches said...

I learned to sew on my grandmother's Singer treadle. Then my mom bought an old Free Westinghouse - have never seen another one, but it sewed most of my clothes through high school. Then hubby bought me a top of the line Sears in '74 and after 38 years of sewing everything I gave it away, still in good working condition. Now I sew 90% of the time on a Featherweight - it's the same age as I am and in much better condition - sews anything I put in front of it. Enjoy!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My father gave me a machine, back when I was in 2nd grade. I never used it much (didn't like sewing back then). I had it until I moved here. It dissapeared during the move. I wish I still had that machine, now that I collect vintage machines.

Verna G said...

When I finished nursing school the girl i lived with had a feather weight. I sewed many miles on that little machine. Since then I have owned several new machines but having become a quilter, I coveted a feather weight. Sadly, my friend died a few years ago and one of the things she gave me was the machine I had used so many years ago. It works so well and i think of her every time I sit down to use it.

Linda in PA said...

I learned to sew on my mother's Featherweight machine. My dad had bought it used for her when she was pregnant with me. Unfortunately, she traded it in on a fancy new Singer. I always wished that she had kept it or offered it to me. Many years later I was able to purchase a Featherweight that was on consignment in a quilt store. She's a beauty! One day at a local flea market I spotted the coveted black box and was able to purchase another one. This one wasn't in great shape, but my husband cleaned it up and greased and oiled it. Now it sews great. These will eventually be given to my daughter and daughter-in-law.

Bev C said...

Hello Jocelyn,

How lovely to get not one but two machines, your family certainly knows you well. I wonder what you did with that $10.00???

Happy days.
Bev.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

How very perceptive of your husband! I sold my first quilt I made at the age of 16. I've regretted it since my sister handed me the money she got for it. I wrote about it on my blog. I think it was the second or third entry I put on that blog.

margaret said...

I love my featherweight have been using it for the last couple of days making blocks, it will be 68 on 21st september, if you email singer with the registraion number they will tell you when it was born! Mine is called Pearl.
The straight stitch is so much straighter than my bernina but cannot do big things on it,

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What great guys you have!!