Friday, August 5, 2011

Simplicity

Staci over at The Confused Quilter shared about a tool she enjoys using. I had seen this tool used by the Lady herself, Eleanor Burns, but I never put too much thought into it. But Staci's post HERE was so helpful and informative, that I went out and bought the Shape Cut Ruler taking advantage of JoAnn's 50% off quilting notions sale.

There's a great video tutorial at the June Tailor website, and you can see it HERE.

So why is this tool so great? Most of the cutting I do consists of geometric shapes. I love using charms, and this tool is amazing at making charms.

Sixteen charms made in no time. And there is no loading of a machine, plates, dies or anything special.

When I need to make my binding strips, I just take the folded fabric

fold it again

line up the ruler
make the first cut on zero

find the 2 1/2" line and cut

every 2 1/2"

and wa-la!! I have my perfectly cut strips

easy peasy!

No machine to lug around, no dies to deal with. And the price is soooo affordable.

I bought the 12" x 12" ruler because that was the largest size that my JoAnn's carried. However if I could find the Shape Cut Pro like Staci has at a reasonable price, I would love to use that one too. Can you imagine how quickly you could make sashings??? The video tutorial shows how to make other shapes as well.

So if you like to cut strips, charms, layer cakes and even Half square triangles, it might be worth your while to check out this great tool. I was so amazed at how quickly and simply I was able to cut a whole lot of fabric :-)

Happy Quilting!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so going to check it out - Just received my free Christmas fabric in the mail and can't wait to start on a table runner - this tool looks fantastic for fast (and accurate) cutting - thanks for sharing about it!

Hugs,
Mary
Redo 101

Impera Magna said...

I have one of those! I got it back when I was doing the knotted fleece blankets... never thought about using it to cut quilt fabric!

Thanks for sharing this info! Off to watch the video...

Ivory Spring said...

I have seen them used at my former sewing center.... they seem so cool!

regan said...

I love this cutting tool.....I blogged about it a few months ago! LOVE IT! I was making flying geese units and it breezed right through them.....all 480 of them! I don't think I could have cut all those bricks and squares in days of cutting....but this cut it down to a few hours! I hardly use my other rulers now!

fourkid said...

I just used one of these at the quilt shop where I am taking a quilting class. It was pretty cool. The owner used pieces of colored adhesive tape (the kind that is like a film) and marked her spacings so they were even easier to see. That is especially good if you have to repeat a certain size - like 2 1/2" over and over. I don't do enough quilting to warrant one of these - but who knows after I finish my first quilt?
Blessings,
Patti

Lesly said...

I have one of those, too - not sure which Shape Cut version it is, but it has 1/4" markings - and I love it! I just used it last night to cut strips for a Trip Around the World. I recommend it heartily!

Cyndi said...

That is so cool! I might have to get me one of those... I like to cut charms out of my scraps and that would definitely make it easier! Thanks for sharing, Jocelyn!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Oh, just what I need. One more ruler. Oh, but I sooo want this. So many possibilities. With so little effort. Well worth the money, I think. Oh well...guess I need to start checking out the stores. Thanks!

Denise :) said...

Thank you so much for sharing this -- and the great links, too! :)

~Laurie~ said...

I am SO glad you posted about this. I've wondered about these cutters for a long time and you make it look so easy. I have so much scrap fabric that I will get to (someday!!) that I want to cut up for scrap quilts - this looks like the way to go!

Denise :) said...

After watching the video tutorial I had to come back and thank you AGAIN! Yup, I see one of these rulers in my very near future. I have LOTS of squares to cut. I NEED this ruler! Yay! :)

Sallie said...

I have the larger size and it is my favorite "ruler"!! Great post!

Dresden Quilter said...

I have both sizes and I use it constantly. I find it more accurate and it uses less fabric since I don't have to realign the fabric all the time. I only use my other rulers now for squaring up my blocks.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have this. I bought it to cut fleece 'ties' years ago. I never thought about using it like you did above. Great ideas. I'm going to need some charms pretty soon. This will be a time saver. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've seen these rulers but have never quite been able to visualize their use. Great tutorial.

Becky said...

I love this tool, too! I especially like to use it to cut strips for projects. I need to check out the Shape Cut Pro to see if that's the one I have or if I "need" this one, too. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love this tool too and use it ALOT!!!

Jen said...

What a great tool to have .I will have to look out for it in our next quilt show,which will be here soon. It will be very usefull for when I sort out my stash fabrics to make a few projects.

Tangos Treasures said...

My Mom just gave me one of the large ones! Going to check out the video! Thank you for sharing it!

Crispy said...

I have a friend that uses her's all the time. I bet they would be great for cutting up scraps too....

Crispy

Dana Gaffney said...

Thanks for the video, I really didn't get it until I saw it in action, now I need one.

Carrie P. said...

pretty neat!

Michelle said...

This is my favorite quilt tool. As soon as I discovered it years ago, I bought it, and bought a few for my friends. Love it, love it, love it! I have the 12", and the larger one. I also have a few of the smaller ones, and the one that has 1/4" increments.