Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sweet Memories




This is my little Featherweight. I love this little machine. She is not my first Featherweight though. My Mom had an old Featherweight that she used once in a while for mending. When I started sewing for Home Ec, I wrestled with her Featherweight to the point of frustration. It never seemed to run right. I passed the Home Ec class and one of the first things I purchased after high school was a Singer Stylist sewing machine. After my proud purchase my thoughts at the time were, why would I need that old black thing that gave me such a hard time!!

So I sold it to a co-worker.

For $10.

The new Singer was not a very cooperative machine. It was in constant need of repair. I felt so much frustration that I pretty much gave up garment sewing. As I began to quilt, I realized the need for a good straight stitch. A friend was getting a new sewing machine and she asked me if I would like her old Kenmore. I have sewn many, many miles on that machine. It was sturdy and faithful.

But in the back of my mind, I mourned for that little black Featherweight. The more I heard of others sewing on Featherweights, the more I lamented. I was sure that my old co-worker was still sewing on that little black machine.

On Christmas morning in 2003, there was a little black box sitting under the Christmas tree. I wondered what in the world could be in that little box. At first I thought it was some kind of projector or camera. But when I opened the lid, there she sat, in all of her glorious beauty. My dear sweet husband and son had been on a mission to buy me a new sewing machine. I was thrilled to say the least!! But that is not the end of the story. You see, my dear sweet husband and son had gone to a sewing machine repair store and asked questions. The store owner told my dh that the Featherweight had the best straight stitch, and that quilters everywhere covet them. Hummm, but it isn't a new machine. Oh if you want a new sewing machine you need to go to the store down the road. So in addition to this little beauty, my dear sweet husband and son bought a Bernina Virtuosa 155. Can you imagine my surprise when I not only opened the Featherweight but the next box was this incredible Bernina! Two machines that I dearly love.

But more then those machines, I dearly love the sweet dear husband who has been the love of my life for over 30 years. We recently celebrated our wedding anniversary. Anniversaries always seem to be a time of reflection, of remembering how we've made it through the years of good times and tough times. And I also remember that my sweet hubby is definitely a keeper :-)

°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.~»§«(¨`v´¨).»§«~.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°

Enjoy a happy Quilting weekend!

27 comments:

Cathy said...

Ahhhh, What a wonderful story. Bet you wish you could get a featherweight for $10. I have 2 and love them to death.

PS you husband is a keeper.

Hugs

Unknown said...

Nice... what would we do without our sweet memories. :)

Thanks for sharing.

God bless and keep you,
Sonia

Donna said...

Love your story! Your husband is a keeper.
I purchased a Featherweight in 2009 and love that little black machine! My hubby bought my Bernina on an anniversary too. We will soon be married 34 years. I will keep him too!
Hugs,
Donna

Dawn said...

Wow, what great gift givers! You can't beat a little featherweight, I just got one of those this year! I'll let you know how I like my Stylist that I just acquired :)

Sewconsult said...

Congratulations on 2 machines that you love, but most of all, congratulations on having a wonderful loving and thoughtful hubby. May you celebrated many more anniversaries together.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

sunny said...

Awwww....how sweet. Your hubby definitely is a keeper! We recently dorve past a yard sale on a country road, and hubby said - THere's one of those old sewing machines like you bought. We went back tolook at it, but it was a reproduction of a model that I can't find anything about. I was tempted, but really couldn't spend the money. GOtta love a Featherweight, though!

evelyn said...

Thanks for sharing such a great story. Hubby is a keeper for sure. I am still sewing on my 1970's Kenmore.!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a sweet memory and especially what a sweet husband!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Sweet memories... How lovely to hear stories of long lasting love! You are blessed!

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely story. Two wonderful Christmas presents .

Congrats too on your recent anniversary.

barb's creations said...

Congrat's on your anniversary and I agree with you that DH is a keeper :) Barb.

Carol said...

What a wonderful story and lots of really good memories...what a sweetie!

Allie said...

TEN DOLLARS! Oh the folly of youth, lol! So glad hubby was so good to you, he's a keeper all right!

Crispy said...

Happy Anniversary you two!! What a sweet thing for him to do. It just goes to show that men do listen when we are lamenting LOL.

Crispy

Libby said...

Such a sweet story! Such a sweet husband!

Mary said...

What a wonderful Featherweight story! Thanks for sharing. I love my little Featherweight too.

Jen said...

What a lovely story about your husband, son and the Featherweight. Happy Anniversary to you both.

Impera Magna said...

Lovely story, lovely memories, wonderful husband... life it good, yes?

Darlene said...

Thank you for sharing your sweet memories. Your hubby is definitely a keeper - here's to lots more years of making sweet memories together.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful post and Happy Anniversary! I have a keeper too!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn :)

Miss Jean said...

How wonderful for you! I have Berninas and Featherweights as well. The two best machines on the planet. When I drive by garage sales I always slow down to see if I can spy little black boxes with a treasure inside!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

I loved this post! Nice. Two loves... for the price of one loving husband. Sweet deal. Tri-fecta, in fact. And son, too! Blessings and thankfulness for your awesome marriage.

bj said...

What a sweet sweet story. Thanks so much for blessing me today.
xo bj

Nicole said...

Your husband is a prize! And I love my little Singer Featherweight too. It never disappoints.

Ivory Spring said...

Oh, what a sweet post! Happy Belated Anniversary.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My 'keeper hubby' thought that I needed a new, nice sewing machine after I'd made a few quilts. He found me a lovely Janome that is still my 'go to' machine, despite all of the vintage machines I've collected.

Talin's Corner said...

I love my featherweight. Wish I could have bought mine for $10. You are one lucky girl to have such a thoughtful husband and son.