Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thriftin.........

My daughter has been out of town, and my dear sweet hubby has had a very busy week. So what's a girl to do?

Go to the thrift stores, of course :-)

Here are a few of the latest treasure finds.

I could not pass up this very cute apron. Love the stripes and the pleat in the front. What a bargain for $1.00!

I have been keeping an eye out for some vintage sheets and pillowcases. This pink beauty caught my attention with its deep pink background. Would work great for piecing or a backing for a quilt. The pillowcase fabric was sooooo 70's.

It's been really hard to find old patterns around here. But this little boys Butterick pattern was sitting in a box along with more modern patterns. The Aunt Martha transfer pattern was purchased when I visited a new thrift store. Both of these patterns were marked 25c each!


I bought these patterns for my dear daughter who has just started to crochet. Talk about dated! The WorkBasket is dated 1954. The other pattern did not have a date, but just looking at the designs brought 40's or 50's to mind.

When we traveled to Georgia last month, we saw several of these egg plates. I noted them because they have a similar beading pattern as the other glass wear that I collect. Last weekend our local thrift store was having 50% off everything in the store. This little beauty was only $2.50.

And last, but not least (at least for today) is this Heritage platter. As I was driving home yesterday I noticed a new thrift store. I decided to pull in and take a quick look around. This sweet depression glass platter is the same pattern I have been collecting. It's been a hard pattern to find. I started collecting after my Mom passed away. She had several cups and saucers of this pattern, so it was of particular interest to me. I do already have one of these lovely platters, but who could resist it for $3.00! Most everywhere else, I have seen it marked $10 and even $15.

May your thrifting be plenty and your prices be lean.

Have a wonder filled day!

16 comments:

Crispy said...

Gosh lots of treasures found on your Thrifty spree. Maybe you shouldn't have been left alone for so long LOL.

Crispy

Rhonda said...

What lovely finds! My favorite thrift store has their 50% off day on Monday and I am counting down the days. I've found many wonderful vintage patterns and great fabric among other things.
Happy thrifting. :)

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Glad you had such good luck at the thrift stores. Ours are not too good here but once in a while I get lucky at a garage sale.

Unknown said...

WOW, I can never find anything in thrift stores. Me and my mom set out last week and went to 3 in the area trying to find vintage stuff, and what I would think was vintage, she didn't. She assured me, she would know more about vintage than myself. haha

blushing rose said...

Jocelyn ~ DID you have a WEEK or what??? These are great finds ... love that egg plate. I think I still have one somewhere just like it ... hmmm. Have to go look. TTFN ~ Marydon

Pat said...

I love thrift shops......don't find things every time I go to them, but often enough to keep me going back! You got some great things.

Sara said...

Lots of great thrift shop finds! I like the apron!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Oh my gosh...I have an entire drawer full of old Workbasket magazines and many young boys clothing patterns that I got 20 years ago when sewing for my grandsons. We also have two of the exact egg plates you got, one green, one amber. Both were purchased at yard sales for just a dollar or two. We love them. Very nice finds, thanks for sharing!!!

bettyp said...

haha!! I used to get Workbasket magazine years ago . Would love to shop with you girl!!!
Great fines for sure!!
bp

parTea lady said...

Now, that's my kind of shopping. You really found some great treasures. I love that apron and the egg plate.

Mary L. said...

What neat things. I have my Grandmother's Workbaskets from the 1940's through 1980's. Also my own from 1970-80's. The one on the left looks to be from the 1940's when they were just a couple of pages. There is a Yahoo group for people who collect them.

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

Oh wow, great finds. I really like the apron and it would be easy to make one like it .

Micki said...

What great finds! Our nearest thrift shop is in Letterkenny, but it is always fun visiting!
Micki

Barb said...

I love all of your wonderful finds...

Katie said...

Wow oh that egg plate, what a find that is with the bubble or bead decoration! Score!

Julia said...

I just found your blog. A friend of mine who is into antiques has told me that things with the beading like on that egg plate are very valuable. I love all of your finds.