Saturday, July 3, 2010

Independence Day


Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, commemorates the Continental Congress’ adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The document, primarily written by Thomas Jefferson, served as a formal announcement that the 13 American colonies were no longer part of the British Empire and would henceforth be free and independent states. Regarded as the birthday of the United States of America, the day is typically celebrated with parades, fireworks, ceremonies, barbecues and family gatherings.

As we prepare to celebrate Independence Day here in America, I wanted to ask you to remember the family members of two slain police officers here in our city. Our flags are flying at half mast in memory of these two men, who were ministers of the law. For all those who have given their lives in order that we may remain free, I pay respect and homage to them and for what they stood for.

So as you celebrate the 4th, remember that there are many who have given their all, because freedom is never really free.

8 comments:

Allie said...

How tragic - I always hate to see an officer fall. I will keep their families in my prayers.

Sandra Henderson said...

Happy Independence Day to you also and I'll definately keep these officers and families in my prayers. We have so much to be thankful for...
I've enjoyed catching up on yoru blog today. Congratualtions on your new GORGEOUS home. I know you are enjoying nesting. Such a lovely yard as well. Happy times! :)

SewCalGal said...

Lovely post. I hope you have a Happy 4th of July. Very special day and we are truly lucky to be able to enjoy and appreciate it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Enjoy your day!
Stefanie

Barb said...

You are so right!!!

Barb

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Very well said!!! I hope your having a good 4th!

Cyndi said...

Very poignant post, Jocelyn. I will most definitely keep the families of those two police officers in my prayers.

XOXO,

Cyndi

Shirley said...

Great post and very true. Hope you had a good 4th.