Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The story of the egg scale

 As we are sitting out these last days of Stay at Home, I thought I would share a story that I posted years ago on my Hospitality blog
--------------------------------------------------------------------
On a trip to South Carolina my daughter and I went to several antique shops. Between the two of us, we found several vintage thingies that we added to our collection of old stuff.

But for today, I wanted to share about something that I had never seen before. It was a vintage Farm Master Egg scale from Sears Roebuck & Co.

We first saw this scale in a little shop in Florence. I thought it was so interesting, but passed it up. At $12, it was more then my usual thrifty spending habits.

We picked up a few business cards at this particular shop, and headed out in search of more bargains. We landed at the Thieves Market, which was a huge warehouse, packed to the gills with stuff! And guess what? They also had a vintage Farm Master Egg scale. But the price was not $12. Oh No!! It was marked.......... $48! Whoa!

Now here was something that I had never seen before, and now I've run into it twice, with a $36 price difference. Boy, now I was wishing I had picked up this little gem.

With our prizes in hand, we headed back to the hotel for a night of rest, so we could venture out again the next day.

Georgetown SC is a historical landmark town. We've never visited there before, so we thought we would take a buzz through this little town. And low and behold, there was an Antique mall. Guess it wouldn't hurt to take a browse through.

And yes, of course you know what I am going to tell you. Here it was again! The Farm Master Egg scale. But wait! What's this?? What did you say the price was?? But it is in such poor condition!!

I called my daughter over to take a look. Surely my eyes were not seeing the price right. Oh, it is?? You mean to tell me this egg scale is..... it is.......

$78!!!!!

Auugghhhhhh!!!!!

Now I have been thrift hunting for a lonnngggg time, but I cannot ever remember finding something with such a huge (scalping) I mean difference. A difference of $66 from the first one that we saw!

So you know what we did?? Yep, we jumped in the car, and we drove back to Florence! We not only found the egg scale for $12.00, but my daughter found several other items while we were there.

So what is the moral of this story?

Buy it when you see it the first time :-)

4 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It's always interesting to see something that my family had at one time (usually something ugly) and to see how much the vendor wants for that piece.

Quilting Babcia said...

I remember those, had one that was all red so probably a different brand. My grandparents raised hundreds of chickens when I was young and had a big sorter that we set the eggs on individually and they would roll down a slight incline until they came to the first hole they fit through and that's how we determined the size egg boxes to pack them into for the open air market in a nearby city. Many an evening was spent with them in their basement hand candling and sorting and packing eggs.

QuiltShopGal said...

Too funny. I've never seen an egg scale. With respect to price, I agree 100% with you. But what a cute treasure you found and now have special memories attached to it too!

gailss said...

Oh my gosh....that is so cute and never saw one of those before! Good find and what a bargan...