Monday, February 8, 2021

A special gift

 Recently I was having lunch with an old friend. Our boys grew up together, so we had a kinship that spanned the years. After lunch she asked me if I remembered the antique quilt that she had. I said yes, as I had encouraged her to take it to have it evaluated. I knew it was old, but not much else. She was clearing out things in her house and asked me if I would like to have it. Of course I said YES!

And here it is ...


A crazy quilt that was made in 1889.


Apparently made by A.C.Waterman


The stitching is amazing. And the crochet work is beautiful.







It is extremely fragile. As I was unwrapping it, pieces of the fabric were falling off.



It's really a work of art. But for 132 years old, I would expect no less. I really think it belongs in a museum. 

4 comments:

Darlene S said...

What a very special gift. Really beautiful crazy quilt with lovely stitching and fabrics. I'm so happy your friend gifted it to you. Enjoy this treasure!

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - amazing!

Patti said...

How wonderful to have something from a friend you will treasure for a long time I am sure!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a treasure. Yes, leave it in your will to a museum.