Saturday, June 5, 2021

A Lady in Attendance

 


I loved A Lady in Attendance by Rachel Fordham. This story captivated me from the start. 

Hazel McDowell was a fiery flirt until she is put in a compromising situation and made to marry Nathaniel Williams. Six months into their marriage, Nathaniel is murdered and Hazel is accused of theft and sent to a reformatory for five years for a crime she did not commit. When Hazel is released, she tries in vain to prove her innocence but no one will listen to her case. 

Gilbert Watts is a quiet dentist in need of a Lady in attendance to assist in his practice. When Hazel applies, she uses an alias to obtain the job. They form a friendship which slowly simmers. Gilbert is a swoon worthy hero, a quiet sincere gentleman. Hazel's attempts at clearing her name are ignored until Gilbert hears her story and is determined to help. 

I have read several of Rachel's books, but this one is by far my favorite. I was fully engaged in this story as the characters came to life. Every character in the book felt true to life, human, imperfect, believable with hopes and genuine caring. A great historical fiction with romance and a bit of mystery. Highly recommended. 

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.


1 comments:

scottylover said...

I love reading your reviews! I will add this book to my reading list and look for it.
Sandy