Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Repost

A few years ago Mary Kate posted on Inside Quilters Newsletter her thoughts about losing her quilting mojo. The article gave me pause to think.

There have been many times when I've had such a burning desire to quilt, that everything else goes by the wayside. But of late, that has happened less and less.

One reason may be because I don't have quilting buddies available anymore. Time, families, and work pushed quilting to the bottom of the list. It was always fun to meet up with friends, find a pattern, and sew all day.

As I was going through some old magazines, sorting them as keepers and give away. There was an "aha!" moment as I leafed through a variety of magazines.
 I think I've lost my mojo mostly because quilting times have changed. More and more quilters have lent themselves to modern quilting. Modern fabric, modern patterns, modern quilts.

So I find that what used to give me inspiration, now dampens my enthusiasm. I'm not saying I don't like the newer brighter fabric colors. It's just that I have always been a traditional quilter, and I'm not finding much encouragement anymore.

In our area, what quilt shops have remained open are gearing up with more and more modern fabrics. Quilting magazines feature lots of modern patterns, applique and paper piecing. All of which I don't do.

Another thing I've noticed is the emphasis on long arm machine quilting. I don't know about you, but I don't own a long arm, and I don't even know anybody who does. So are the magazines pushing quilters to buy a long arm? There certainly are lots of helpful hints for long arm quilters!

Believe me, I'm not downplaying modern quilting. It's just not what I enjoy doing. I like my fabric to coordinate, my patterns to have symmetry, and my points to match.  I'm just sharing my thoughts on losing my quilting mojo. We each have to enjoy what we are creating.

I do wish each of you Happy Quilting. No matter which kind you enjoy doing.

6 comments:

Allie said...

Exactly what happened to me - lost my best friend, and she took my sewing mojo with her. Will I ever get it back? I'm thinking not.....I'm finding drawing and watercolors much more fascinating these days, but I am still drawn to embroidery. Just not quilts...maybe I have enough, lol!

Darlene S said...

I'm with you 100% I align with traditional quilting. While I do enjoy FMQ, I don't own a mid-arm, nor a long arm and I don't have room for one. I've been amazed at large Quilt Show how many classes are offered for longarmers and modern quilting, leaving nothing for those interested in traditional quilting. I no longer subscribe to quilt magazines for reasons you mentioned, but I will buy an issue or two when I go on a trip. Yet I find myself rarely inspired by what is found in a quilt magazine. I find more inspiration via quilting bloggers, pinterest and friends who live afar as yourself.

D.L. Austin said...

I understand. I too prefer the traditional look and colors. Lynn Wilder has a BOM starting in January that fits the bill from me. Check it out. You might find some of your mojo. Have a fantastic day.

Elaine Adair said...

Most of my quilts are traditional, respecting the early tradition of using what I have. Of course I have waaaay more than needed, but I still make traditional, and buy fabric NOT modern. Many of the "modern" are still the same old blocks, using fresh fabrics. I "tried" to like Modern but really don't. Take care, keep on keepin' on with what you love to do. Obviously there is money in long arm machines - that's ok, some people like that, some people still even hand quilt, I use my domestic sewing machine. My quilting friends who have long-arm machines feel compelled to justify the expense by quilting for others, leaving little time for themselves. There is room for all of us and if you don't like the "modern " fabrics, then use what you like. I notice that when I get overwhelmed with too many ideas, my MoJo disappears, so I've learned to stop the magazines, give away the books, quit YouTube. Just take a break. Perhaps you've reached a point where you need to stretch your talents, learning to coordinate the old with the new? Hang in there!

Terry said...

I completely understand what you're saying. I don't even bother looking at quilting magazines anymore, and I can't afford to buy fabric. That's why all my quilts are scrappy and made from my stash. I went through about five years of not making quilts, then one day the urge to be creative hit me again and I've been back to sewing ever since. Just do whatever's right for you. :0)

Susan said...

I get where you're coming from. Been grappling with similiar feelings. Committed to finishing one UFO a month while trying to convince myself that finished is better than perfect. Coming to accept that I prefer hand quilting and applique to free motion quilting or sending them out to be long arm quilted. But that "perfection " piece of me still rears its ugly head. Finding that I'm enjoying learning how to cross stitch as an alternative to quilting, at least for now.