Thursday, July 21, 2022

The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip

 


The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip is the debut novel by Sara Brunsvold. And by far the best novel I have read this year.

When I first glimpsed at the title of this book, I was hesitant. It was not very appealing to me. But once I read the story, it all made sense. 

Aidyn Kelley is an ambitious young writer for the Kansas City Star. After making a huge blunder by pushing too hard to get ahead, she is given the menial job of writing the obituary for an unremarkable woman, Clara Kip. But Mrs. Kip is still alive and living in a hospice facility. Aidyn soon learns that Mrs. Kip is anything but unremarkable. 

The spirited Mrs. Kip leans towards helping others.  Aidyn learns just how much Mrs. Kip's persuasion has affected so many lives. 

Mrs. Kip's words of wisdom -

"What did you do after your husband died?"

The old woman took a breath that sounded tainted with discomfort. "I did a lot of hard things. But hard things usually end in the biggest blessings." Mrs. Kip nodded at Aidyn's notebook. "Write that. That's gold, too."

-------------------------------------

"I did nothing amazing, Miss Kelley," she insisted. "Despite what you've been told. I simply tried to love people as best I could for as long as I was privileged to be with them. We don't stay long in each others lives - that's the crux of our humanness. You have to be the friend people need while they are there with you, because it's the only chance you'll get."

------------------------------------

"The Lord hides his warriors in the most surprising places, Miss Kelley." 

-----------------------------------

This was such a touching story. One that made me cry at the end. Miss Brunsvold writes with such heart. The characters and dialogue were extraordinary. I loved the humor and compassion. The writing was the best example of show don't tell. You must put this uplifting clean book on your must read list. It is about an assignment that changes two lives forever.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

3 comments:

Pamela papazidis said...

Sounds like a good one. Will put it on my list and thank you for your suggestion.

Lori said...

It sounds like the type of book I need to read. Thanks for the recommendation; I will look for it.

Susan said...

Sounds like my kind of book. I will have to see if the library has it.