Thursday, June 22, 2023

Matthew's Quilt


When I was a new quilter in 1985 I took a quilting class at the local craft store. Back then we were taught how to cut out the pieces with scissors and used cardboard templates. Towards the end of the class, our teacher showed us a tool that looked like a pizza cutter. She told us this was a Rotary Cutter and would speed cutting time. Of course we all laughed and said it could not take the place of scissors! HA!

About that same time, my sister in law took a class at a quilt shop. She learned Eleanor Burns Quilt in A Day pattern for the Log Cabin. She shared with me how quick and easy it was to use this method. And as the saying goes, the rest is history.

"Matthew's Quilt" was started back around 1986. I purchased 100% cotton fabrics from a quilt shop. My plan was to make a quilt for my then toddler son. We worked on the Log Cabin pattern, and I completed the top. It was my goal to hand quilt this quilt.

So I started working on it, but did not make very speedy progress. As a matter of fact it was not completed until 2004!

This is one of my favorite quilts and the only one I hand quilted. It was fun to work on, and I love how the colors all worked together.

I wanted to share this one in honor of my son's birthday.

Happy Quilting!

                                       Sew and Tell

                                      Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is a beautiful quilt! Happy stitching!

Helenchaffin said...

It's beautiful!

bcarlf said...

I really like that quilt. What a lovely gift for his birthday!

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt. Well worth the wait. My first quilt was a log cabin heart wall hanging. It was tied rather than quilted as the teacher only tied quilts.

Allie said...

That's lovely! My first quilt I used a cardboard template and scissors - put it all together by hand, then hand quilted it - took me 25 years!!!!!!! But I still use it!

Miaismine said...

Thank God for local craft stores! They are often the support we need to begin our crafty journey! You quilt is lovely and congratulations on finishing it – especially with it being hand quilted! 😊