Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Love of quilting

Do you have grandchildren?? I have not yet been blessed with my own grandchildren, but there is another kind of grands in the quilting world.

Several years ago I taught my BFF how to quilt. We have enjoyed our quilting times together even though she lives 1100 miles away. Together we have ventured into new patterns, quilt shows and shop hops.

And true to form, about 6 months ago BFF taught a friend of hers to quilt. Her friend has become as passionate about quilting as we have. Maybe even more so. Here is a note sent by my BFF -

I wanted to send these pictures that Michelle sent to me. She wanted to learn how to applique, so she watched Youtube videos, and checked out websites. This was her FIRST attempt-for a good friend who is the grandmother of a very seriously ill baby. She wanted the grandma to have a quilt since she watches little Kasey so much. She gave it to her the other day. I thought you'd enjoy seeing what your 'grandchild' in the quilting sense is doing. She's WAY beyond me!!




Baby Kasey at the Clinic where he had just had a liver biopsy (2/29). Scheduled for liver surgery on 3/7. He has already survived two brain surgeries; the doctors are all amazed at his progress.

Pretty impressive, huh?? I am so thrilled to see the love of quilting being passed on and able to bring comfort to others.

So maybe I do have some grandchildren out there :-) How about you???

17 comments:

Teri said...

Mr Kasey is in my thoughts and prayers.....my 9 month old grandsons name is Casey.....

What a beautiful quilt she made for him....

laurawilson25 said...

So sorry about the baby! Prayers for a good result. That's a great example of why we should share our knowledge. You never know who it can affect or comfort.

Denise :) said...

What a sweet quilt for a sweet baby boy. Prayers going up for little Kasey! :)

Barb said...

You are a wonderful teacher, this quilt is just simply adorable and done so fantastically!

Barb said...

Many prayers for the little one...so precious to have to endure such trials.

Coloradolady said...

So so sweet. I will keep that little one and family in my thoughts and prayers. What a fantastic job she did on that quilt. just adorable.

Stephanie said...

Wow - what an amazing quilt. I just LOVE it! Praying little Kasey, too :)

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

What a sweet little baby praying he continues to do well. The quilt is adorable love the blues and greens! I am blessed with four grandchildren. Two boys and two girls. Love them so much!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, What a wonderful gift you've given your friend who in turn has passed it on. Love the quilt-I'm still wanting to tackle hand-applique but it has to wait. Most of my quilts are for our grandchildren but occasionally I keep one for myself.
Hugs, Noreen

Allie said...

Oh my goodness what a wonderful post, hon....I do love to see the love of quilting being passed on from person to person. Michelle did a most beautiful job with that quilt, and it's all your fault, isn't that neat??? Praying for that beautiful wee one!

Michelle said...

I am so touched to see how many quilting friends are praying for baby Kasey. Thank you so very much. I know his family, especially his grandma, will be moved by your thoughtfulness and care. It has been one of my greatest joys in life to make something with my own two hands and place it into the hands of someone who needs encouragement. The Lord has been so gracious and kind to me. I pray I will have many more opportunities to show love, through quilting, to those in need. God bless you, Josh, for sharing your gift of quilting to my dear friend, Lin. I hope to tell you someday soon that you are a great grandmother in quilting! Much love to you from your quilting granddaughter, Michelle

Alice Grace said...

This posting so reminds me of me and my best friend learning to quilt. She has now introduced quilting to another friend. Isn't it such fun to share!
I love the baby quilt and the applique. I have yet to learn much about applique.
Lovely post!

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely quilt. Your "granddaughter" is obviously very talented.

I hope the baby makes good progress.

Anonymous said...

It really pretty impressive designs for the grand child.It look so fabulous.Design art and on the hanky and bad sheets.It look really different and beautiful.

Shed

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great quilt she made. Isn't it great to pass on what we love, and see how much others love it, too.

A Plain Path said...

Precious! And the quilt is so adorable!! How sweet to send a photo with Kasey as well. Sweet!

Ivory Spring said...

Such a sweet quilt!