Friday, February 1, 2019

Helpful hint

Keeping the plate clean on your iron can be troublesome at times.

I've used a product I bought from JoAnn's to clean my iron, which works fine, but can be pricey. My biggest problem appears to be the plate seems scorched in places. 

I recently found something that works not only on the scorch marks but on gunk that may accumulate on my iron.

Using a damp Magic Eraser I found that it works on removing every mark on the iron face plate. I had to use a little more pressure on the indention's as they were pretty well baked. 

But wa-la!!!

Clean iron!! 

I found this great idea on Aimee's It's Overflowing blog.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Well, now that is a good one. I sure need to clean my act up too! Thanks.

kathy said...

Used dryer sheet works great too for removing glue gunk

Quilting Babcia said...

I just recently discovered that trick - it's the first thing I've ever had luck with using the magic eraser pad. The iron needs cleaning once again, using spray starch really darkens the soleplate it seems.

Sam I Am...... said...

How great is that! Thank you so much! I even have one of those Magic Erasers...no running out to buy something new! Awesome!

Jo said...

I'm going to try that

Allison said...

Interesting! I will have to see if Magic Eraser can be found in the UK...

Nonna Gee said...

Magic Eraser also works great on oven door glass!

Shelly said...

Thank you for posting this! I was just wondering yesterday what I should clean mine with. I usually use oven cleaner and let it sit for awhile, but I think this will work instantly, and I can go right back to using it. I even happen to have some Magic Erasers on hand (nothing short of a miracle)!

Barb said...

I just discovred the magic eraser as well...love it....does a fantastic job.

Danice G said...

Thank you so much for this tip. I have long struggled with cleaning the iron really well.