Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Thank you Betty

I've had the HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen for almost two months. The month of December was a loss, as I did not do much sewing or quilting during the holidays. So when January came around (along with the cold weather), it was my goal to start learning to use the SS.

 I quilted one baby quilt with no problem. Then decided to change the thread to another color. That's when all my troubles seemed to start. I could not get the stitches to even out, no matter what I did. I studied the manual, watched YouTube videos, and the DVD that came with my machine. Still I was not able to regulate the stitches. I left it for a while, and came back to it this past week. I changed and checked everything that I knew to do, and still there was eyelash stitches on the back of my fabric. Last night I was at the point of tears.

So today I called HandiQuilter and spoke with Betty. She was patient with me, as we walked through each of the steps. After about twenty minutes of checking the bobbin, re-threading the machine and  anything else she asked me to do, she said we would need to reset the tension.

This little tension knob is the whole key to regulating your tension once the bobbin tension is correct. Following her instructions, I loosened the knob as far as it would go without falling off, cleaned around the groves, then pressed the reset button, turning it to zero. Betty told me to turn the knob four complete turns, then check the stitching. Still loose but better. We kept turning the knob a half turn until the stitches on the back of the fabric looked good. 

It was wonderful to be able to talk with someone at HandiQuilter who was able to help me as the dealer we bought the machine from is 1 1/2 hours away. 

So THANK YOU Betty! I am keeping your number close at hand, just in case. 


2 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I panic at the thought of tension issues. My little Brother is so easy to keep control of with a little button, but the Singer Quantum Stylist is much more complicated needing a screw driver to find the upper tension, I think. But you did good to speak to someone who could take you through it with much success. What a relief, heh.

Debbie said...

Lint in the biggest factor I have with the HQ in messing up my tension---as with most machines. Once you get the tension understanding down things go well. There is a Jamie Wallen video on You tube that is great to watch about how to oil the machine that helped me too. I keep a stack of scrap test batts near by to check tension with every time I sit down.