Friday, May 14, 2021

Needle I say more?

 Another key to maintaining a good running machine is to change your needles. 

I have to admit, I am not very good at doing it. I often go for miles of sewing before I change a needle. It is usually because I just plain forget! But having a proper needle for the type of fabric you are using is important. When the needle is compatible with your fabric and thread, your machine sews smoothly. Having the wrong needle will force the thread through the fabric instead of gliding cleanly through the needle hole. It may cause the thread to break. 

A sharp needle is the best choice when sewing natural woven fabrics. A universal needle has a slight ballpoint and was developed for synthetic polyester fibers. 

2 comments:

straythreads said...

Thank you for the reminder. I have a tendency to use a needle until it breaks or is causing problems

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I hate to change the needle. I seldom change it unless it breaks, or my stitches start doing strange things.